The Ontario Planning and Development Act gives the public a chance to take part in preparing development plans for land use and gives the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing the ability to:

  • propose development plans
  • promote municipal implementation
  • process changes to the plan - called amendments

When we create a development plan for land use we must follow the Ontario Planning and Development Act. When a municipality creates a development plan they must:


Development plans may contain policies to:

  • develop an area
  • finance and implement public projects
  • help municipalities implement the plan

Plan approval

After the plan is proposed and public comments have been received, the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing may submit the development plan to the Lieutenant Governor in Council for whole or partial approval.


Amendments to development plans can be initiated by the minister. If you would like to propose an amendment you can submit an application to the minister for consideration. We strongly encourage having a pre-consultation with MMAH before submitting an application.

Plans under the act

There are currently two development plans issued under the Ontario Planning and Development Plan:

Central Pickering Development Plan

The Central Pickering Development Plan was issued under the Ontario Planning and Development Act to improve the community of Central Pickering. The Plan took effect on May 3, 2006 and was amended on June 6, 2012.

Parkway Belt West Plan

The Parkway Belt West Plan (PBWP) took effect in 1978 to reserve land for:

  • infrastructure
  • separate urban areas
  • connecting open spaces in Halton, Peel, York, Hamilton and Toronto

Over 160 amendments have been made to the PBWP since 1978. Today, the Parkway Belt West Plan primarily designates and protects land needed for large-scale infrastructure corridors such as:

  • transit
  • hydro
  • electric power facility

The area covered by plan is divided into two general land use categories:

  1. public use areas
  2. complimentary use areas

Public Use Areas

Public Use Areas are or will be mainly used for infrastructure and open space. Designations include:

  • utility
  • road
  • inter-urban transit
  • electric power facility
  • public open space and buffer area

Complementary Use Areas

Complementary Use Areas are mainly for private uses that help preserve open spaces and encourage agricultural, recreational and institutional land uses that do not require intense urbanization.

2017 Consultation

In 2017, the ministry sought feedback on proposed amendments that would impact lands located within the PBWP and lands covered by related Minister’s Zoning Orders in the regional municipalities of Halton, Peel and York and the Cities of Hamilton and Toronto. The consultation is now closed and the feedback received is being considered.

If you would like a copy of the Parkway Belt West Plan contact:

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Central Municipal Services Office
13th floor
777 Bay Street
Toronto ON M5G 2E5
Tel: 416-585-6226 or Toll-free: 1-800-668-0230