Protocol for the sampling and analysis of industrial/municipal wastewater
Read the guideline for sampling, analysis and quality assurance/quality control procedures in order to be compliant with Ontario’s effluent monitoring and effluent limits regulations.
On this page Skip this page navigation
About the protocol
This protocol describes the techniques to collect effluent samples from different discharge points to be monitored for regulated laboratory tests. It also includes rules for analyzing the samples, including quality assurance, data reporting and regulatory method detection limits (RMDLs).
The protocol was revised in January 2016. The changes bring it up to date with current analytical advances and data reporting procedures. It includes additions of specific parameters to support reference to the protocol document in Environmental Compliance Approvals and/or Certificate of Approvals.
The purpose of this protocol is to:
- provide guidelines for sampling, analysis and quality assurance/control procedures to be followed for Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) programs
- specify requirements for compliance with ministry regulations and Environmental Compliance Approvals (ECA)
The protocol was originally written for the Effluent Monitoring and Effluent Limits (EMEL) regulations, but the procedures are not limited to these regulations.
The protocol is incorporated in the EMEL regulations under the Environmental Protection Act. In all cases, specific requirements imposed by EMEL regulations in respect of each industrial sector take precedence over this protocol if there is an inconsistency between those requirements and the protocol. It is important that the EMEL regulations be read together with this protocol.
The nine regulations for which this protocol is incorporated are:
- Ontario Regulation 215/95 Effluent Monitoring and Effluent Limits – Electric Power Generation Sector
- Ontario Regulation 561/94 Effluent Monitoring and Effluent Limits – Industrial Minerals Sector
- Ontario Regulation 64/95 Effluent Monitoring and Effluent Limits – Inorganic Chemical Sector
- Ontario Regulation 214/95 Effluent Monitoring and Effluent Limits – Iron and Steel Manufacturing Sector
- Ontario Regulation 562/94 Effluent Monitoring and Effluent Limits – Metal Casting Sector
- Ontario Regulation 560/94 Effluent Monitoring and Effluent Limits – Metal Mining Sector
- Ontario Regulation 63/95 Effluent Monitoring and Effluent Limits – Organic Chemical Manufacturing Sector
- Ontario Regulation 537/93 Effluent Monitoring and Effluent Limits – Petroleum Sector
This guide will assist in meeting regulatory obligations.