The Veterinary Assistance Program (VAP) provides financial support to large animal veterinary services to applicable communities to help maintain a viable livestock industry.

We operate this program in partnership with:

VAP provides financial assistance to designated large animal veterinarians for:

  • travel to livestock producers
  • continuing education
  • locum assistance (substitute veterinary services)

Program eligibility

You are eligible for VAP if you operate a veterinary practice in Northern Ontario (all areas North of, and including, the districts of Parry Sound and Nipissing) or within one of the following applicable communities:

  • County of Renfrew
  • County of Haliburton
  • Township of Addington Highlands
  • Township of Carlow Mayo
  • Township of Limerick
  • Township of Wollaston
  • Township of Georgian Bluffs
  • Town of South Bruce Peninsula
  • District Municipality of Muskoka

We classify veterinary practices as either a:

Practicing veterinary practices

  • registered with the College of Veterinarians of Ontario (CVO)
  • whose Director is licensed under the Act
  • maintains an accredited Food-Producing Animal mobile throughout the program period
  • has entered into a Veterinary Service Agreement (VSA)
  • or where with the approval of the Ministry, a veterinarian licensed under the Act that has an accredited Food-Producing Animal mobile that works as an independent contractor may also be considered eligible for a VSA

Isolated veterinary practices

  • located north of the 48th parallel
  • at least a 70 kilometre (km) driving distance (one way) from any other veterinary business
  • upon written request by a VSC, submitted through NPHAN to the Ministry
  • or upon written request by a VSC, submitted through NPHAN, where it is demonstrated to the Ministry’s satisfaction that designation as an “isolated veterinary practice” is required to retain or attract veterinary practices to the program

Eligible livestock include:

  • horses
  • cattle
  • sheep
  • goats
  • swine
  • rabbits
  • poultry
  • bison
  • deer
  • other animals kept in captivity for producing fur, velvet or meat

How to apply

New veterinarians must apply to the program before they can submit claims. In order to participate in the program, they must contact the local veterinary service committee (VSC). If the VSC approves their application, the veterinarian is recommended to NPHAN.

Veterinarian taking over another practice

A veterinarian taking over another practice mid-year from an existing veterinarian must inform the VSC of their intentions

Interested veterinary practices should contact DAVA or the Ministry’s Program Manager to learn more about how they can participate in the program.

Leah Schmidt
A/Manager, Timmins Area Team
Regional Economic Development Branch,
Northern Development Division
Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry
Tel: 705-363-6508
Email: leah.schmidt@ontario.ca

Eligible expenses

We will reimburse your travel costs for participating veterinary practices up to a maximum of $40,000 (per program period) to provide veterinary services and locum assistance (substitute veterinary services).

We will reimburse your travel costs for isolated veterinary practices up to a maximum of $40,000 (per program period) to provide services to producers.

We will reimburse your cost for continuing education up to a maximum of $2,000 (per designation) to attend continuing education courses (per program period).

We will pay 50 percent costs for locum assistance during the first year up to a maximum of $3,000 (per designation) to arrange for substitute veterinary services to fulfil the obligations of the isolated veterinary practice. All veterinary practices are eligible to provide this service.

Visit the VAP guidelines for more details of eligible expenses.

Request for payment

Claims for reimbursement of eligible expenses must be submitted:

  • received by the Ministry no later than 30 days after the end of each claim period
    (late claims may not be paid)
  • receipts for all expenditures

Visit the VAP guidelines for more details of claim and program periods.

Claims are to be submitted via the Transfer Payment Ontario (TPON) application. You can access TPON at: TPON (gov.on.ca).