This guide provides information to those wishing to register as third party advertisers for the 2018 municipal council and school board elections. The information also applies to any by-elections that may be held during the 2018-2022 council and school board term.

This guide is not meant to replace provincial legislation. It provides general information about the rules contained in the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 and other legislation and regulations, such as:

General information

Prior to 2018, third party advertising was not regulated for municipal council and school board elections. Those who wanted to advertise or distribute materials supporting or opposing a candidate did not have to identify themselves, were able to spend unlimited amounts of money, and did not have to report their advertising or financial activities to anyone.

Recent changes to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 created a framework of rules for third party advertising. This guide provides information about who can register to be a third party advertiser, what registration allows them to do, and the rules that third party advertisers must follow.

The municipal clerk

Every municipality has a municipal clerk who is in charge of running the election.

The municipal clerk is the main contact for registered third party advertisers and those who are interested in becoming registered.

The clerk’s office is where forms such as the registration form and campaign financial statements must be filed. The clerk is also responsible for providing information about spending limits and filing deadlines to third party advertisers.

If your municipality does not have a website, you could visit or contact the town hall for more information.

A municipality may have specific rules regarding issues such as where and when election signs may be displayed and whether third party advertising activities may occur on municipal property.

Contact your municipal clerk if you have questions about the election in your municipality.

Contact us

If you have questions or would like to give feedback on this Guide, please contact us at

You can also contact your regional Municipal Services Office.