Traditionally, moussaka is prepared with ground meats and always with a tomato sauce. Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes in this all-vegetable version provide moisture, flavour and lots of colour.
- 2 small Ontario Eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices
- 4 medium Ontario Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced Ontario Mushrooms
- 3 large Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, cut into thick slices
- 3 Ontario Green Onions, sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Ontario Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
Sprinkle both sides of eggplant generously with salt and let stand on rack for 30 minutes; rinse with cold water and pad dry.
Layer potatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes and onions in lightly greased 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking dish; sprinkle with oregano and pepper.
In saucepan, melt butter; blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk; until melted. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until boiling and thickened. Stir in cheddar cheese. Pour over vegetables; sprinkle with Parmesan.
Bake, uncovered, in 350°F (180°C) oven about 1 hour or until vegetables are tender and sauce is golden brown and bubbling.
- Protein: 10.0 grams
- Fat: 11.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 29.0 grams
- Calories: 260