Discover why buying Ontario food is good for you and your family, local communities and the environment.
It supports our communities
Choosing fresh and delicious local food helps to create jobs and supports our economic growth in Ontario. It also builds a strong sense of community by supporting Ontario’s farmers and businesses. Every time you buy local, you make a positive impact.
It helps the environment
Ontario farmers take pride in being good stewards of the land, helping to preserve it for future generations. Buying local also means your food comes from closer to home, and the closer, the fresher!
It's nutritious and tastes great
Adding nutritious Ontario foods fruits and vegetables to your diet can help contribute to a healthier lifestyle.
Buying local in four easy steps
- look for the Foodland Ontario logo when shopping at your grocery store, farmers' market, and on-farm market
- visit local farms with your family and talk to them about the difference they make when you buy local
- serve freshness every day, with delicious recipes featuring local ingredients
- ask for local at restaurants and everywhere you buy food
Additional resources to help
- Ontario has a wide variety of meat, fish, eggs, dairy, maple syrup, honey, and processed food products available throughout the year, but you can use the availability guide to know what fresh fruits and vegetables are at their peak of freshness
- to help make healthier food choices, you can also use the Foodland Ontario nutrition guide
- share your enthusiasm! Post your photos and tell us your local food story on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.