Employer incentives for hiring students
Hire a student! Today’s youth bring energy, technological savvy and a global perspective to our workplaces. If you are considering hiring a youth or student for the summer, or longer, there are also great financial incentives available!
$2-per-hour Summer Incentive
If you are a private, not-for-profit or broader public sector employer offering a summer job in Ontario to students age 15 to 30 who are returning to school in the fall, you could qualify for a $2-per-hour hiring incentive.
This incentive subsidizes an employer from April 1 to September 30.
Where to apply
- find your local Employment Ontario (summer jobs service) office, or call them toll-free at 1-800-387-5656
- rural employers can apply for the hiring incentive applications from the Rural Summer Jobs Service
- employers in northern Ontario can to apply to the Summer Jobs Service
Refundable tax credits
There are provincial and federal tax credits available to employers who hire and train apprentices in skilled trades or recruit eligible university or college students enrolled in a recognized post-secondary program.
Your business may be eligible for this tax credit if you hire a student enrolled in a co-operative education program at a recognized Ontario university or college. In most cases, you may:
- hire a student for a minimum of 10 weeks, up to a maximum of four months
- apply for a refund up to $3,000 per placement
Your Ontario business may be eligible for a tax credit up to $10,000 per year, to hire and train an apprentice in certain skilled trades. The maximum credit amount is $40,000 over a 48 month period. Eligible expenditures for your qualified apprenticeships include:
- salaries and wages (including taxable benefits)
- fees paid to an employment agency for services performed by an apprentice