Apply to hunt elk
Any Ontario resident with hunter accreditation on file and a valid Outdoors Card may apply to the elk draw online, by phone or in person.
You can apply from April 15 to June 10, 2022. Results of the draw are available August 1.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Before you apply
Choose where to hunt
- Find the elk draw hunt codes on page 76 and 77 in the Ontario Hunting Regulations Summary.
- Review the options for:
- wildlife management unit
- harvest area
- Choose your preferred hunt code, and a second choice (if you have one).
Choose to apply as an individual or as a group
If you are an individual hunter, proceed to the next step.
Up to 4 elk hunters can apply as a group (including the tag holder, but not including apprentice hunters). You must choose a group leader who will carry out the following steps on behalf of the group:
- be the first person in the group to apply (this person applies as the group leader)
- provide the group’s preferred hunt code(s)
- record the group number that identifies the group and its choices
- share the group number with the hunters in the group and instruct each of them to apply to the draw as a group member
To create an online account, you will need your:
- Outdoors Card number
- date of birth
- postal code.
To access an online account that you already have, you will need the following:
- Outdoors Card number or email address
To pay for the elk draw entry fee, you will need:
- credit card
- expiry date
Step 1: Select "Elk Draw Entry" and choose to apply as an individual or as a group
- If you are applying as a group, choose a group leader. They must be the first hunter in the group to apply to the draw and share the group number with the other hunters in the group.
- If you are the group leader, select the button “create new group or enter as an individual.” The group number will be listed on your sales receipt and must be shared with your group members.
- If you are a group member you will apply to the draw by entering the group number and selecting the button “verify group number”.
Step 2: Choose where to hunt
- As a group leader or individual you must choose where to hunt by selecting your preferred hunt code (a second choice is optional).
- Be sure to click Confirm and Add to Cart before you check out your shopping cart.
- Draw entry details, including the group number, your hunter number and hunt choice(s) are listed on the sales receipt only.
Step 3: Review your shopping cart
Your shopping cart will display your WMU choice 1 and 2 for the draw entry.
Once you have confirmed your choices, enter your credit card information and click the “Complete transaction” button at the bottom of the page to submit.
Step 4: If applying as a group leader, share the group number with your group
- Once you have completed the purchase, your sales receipt will display your group number and confirmation of entering the draw.
- Your sales receipt and updated licence summary will automatically be emailed to the email address on file once your transaction is complete.
Apply by phone
- Call the automated phone line at
- Apply to the elk draw.
- Record the authorization number you receive at the end of the call.
Apply in person
- Visit a licence issuer or participating ServiceOntario location.
- Check your receipt before leaving the counter to verify your choices are entered correctly.
Get draw results
Draw results are available starting August 1:
- online by visiting the Fish and Wildlife Licensing Service
- call the automated phone line at
Buy your licence and receive your elk Tag
After draw results are available, if you were successful in the elk draw you will need to purchase your elk licence to receive your elk tag. The elk licence will be listed on your licence summary. You can buy and print your licence and Tag at home, at a licence issuer or participating ServiceOntario location once tags are available for printing. Review a list of dates on page 5 of the Ontario Hunting Regulations Summary. Each member of the successful group must also buy an elk licence before hunting for elk.
If you, or a member of your group, do not get an elk Tag through the draw, you cannot buy an elk licence and you are not permitted to hunt elk.
If you will be hunting on private land, you need to complete the landowner consent form and get the signature of the landowner. You need to carry the signed form with you while hunting.
Print your elk tag
Once tags are available for printing on August 16 you can print your tag at:
- home through your Fish and Wildlife Licensing Service account
- a licence issuer
- a participating ServiceOntario location
Get detailed step-by-step instructions on how to print your tags online from your home.