Approval of the terms of reference for the New Transmission Line to Pickle Lake Environmental Assessment
The ministry’s approval of environmental assessment terms of reference for a new power transmission line in northwestern Ontario from Dinorwic to Pickle Lake.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Notice of approval – terms of reference
Proponent: Wataynikaneyap Power
Environmental assessment file number: EA-03-03-03
As provided for by subsection 6(4) of the Environmental Assessment Act, Terms of Reference, as submitted for approval to the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change on May 13, 2013, and revised with the amended Terms of Reference being submitted on November 24, 2014 (amended Terms of Reference), to govern the preparation of an environmental assessment for the above-noted undertaking, is hereby approved.
Pursuant to subsection 6.1(1) of the Environmental Assessment Act, any environmental assessment for the above-noted undertaking, submitted to the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change pursuant to subsection 6.2(1) of the Environmental Assessment Act, must be prepared in accordance with the Terms of Reference as hereby approved.
I am satisfied that an environmental assessment prepared in accordance with the amended Terms of Reference, will be consistent with the purpose of the Environmental Assessment Act and the public interest for the following reasons:
- The amended Terms of Reference provides that the environmental assessment will include an identification and evaluation of a reasonable range of alternative routes and that these alternative routes will be assessed during the environmental assessment process.
- The amended Terms of Reference requires the proponent to implement a comprehensive consultation plan during the preparation of the environmental assessment. In addition, the Environmental Assessment Act requires consultation and documentation of the consultation during the preparation of the environmental assessment. As well, there will be additional opportunities for public and government agency consultation when the environmental assessment is submitted to the ministry.
- The amended Terms of Reference provides that the environmental assessment will be prepared using a comprehensive public, Aboriginal community and government agency consultation process that is open and transparent and In particular will include consultation on the selection and evaluation of alternative routes during the environmental assessment.
- The amended Terms of Reference requires that the proponent meet the intent of the Environmental Assessment Act by providing for the identification of issues and concerns, and the preferred means of addressing them with due regard to adoption of environmental management, protection and mitigation measures.
- There are no outstanding issues that have not been incorporated into the amended Terms of Reference or that cannot be addressed during the preparation of the environmental assessment.
Dated the 20th day of February 2015 at Toronto.
Original signed by:
Minister of the Environment and Climate Change
77 Wellesley Street West, 11th floor, Ferguson Block