The environmental assessments process ensures that governments and public bodies consider potential environmental effects before an infrastructure project begins.
Ontario is modernizing the environmental assessment program to support strong environmental oversight and a strong economy. Our proposed changes would allow us to focus resources on high-impact projects, cut the average review time in half for the largest projects and allow infrastructure projects to move forward more quickly.
EA projects by category
Find an EA project
Prepare an environmental assessment
How to prepare different types of environmental assessments in Ontario.
- How to prepare an environmental assessment
- Preparing terms of reference
- Guide to environmental assessments
- Class environmental assessment requirements
- Transit project requirements
- Electricity project requirements
- Waste management project requirements
Get help planning
- Guide to provincial/federal coordination on environment assessments
- Canada-Ontario agreement on environmental assessment cooperation
- Glossary of common terms
- Terms of reference summary
- Environmental assessment summary
- Statement of completion—electricity projects
- Statement of completion—transit projects
- Statement of completion—transit projects (additional proponent information)
- Statement of completion—waste management projects
- Streamlined EA project information form
- Part II Order Request Form
- Environmental Assessment Act
Make a request
How to request a change to the Environmental Assessment Act requirements for a project.
Designating regulations and voluntary agreements
How to request that a project go through an environmental assessment process.
Information on the techniques used to resolve differences between proponents and parties through a neutral third party.
Request a hearing
How to request a hearing before the Environmental Review Tribunal.
Part II Minister’s Orders
How to request a higher level of assessment to address unresolved issues, known as a Part II Order.