Find out about the different types of environmental permissions you or your business may need and how to apply for each.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Important notice – online applications
Purpose of environmental permissions
Your business must have an environmental permission from the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks if it:
- releases contaminants into the air, land or water
- stores, transports or disposes of waste
The purpose of environmental permissions is to set rules for these activities in a way that helps protect the natural environment and human health.
Types of environmental permissions
You or your business may require more than one type of environmental permission, depending on the nature of your activities.
Review the different types of environmental permissions to determine if you need to comply with the requirements – and find out how to apply or register:
- Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA)
- Environmental Activity and Sector Registry (EASR)
- Environmental Assessments
- Permits to take water
- Pesticide licences and permits
- Municipal drinking water systems – licensing, registration and permits
- Renewable Energy Approvals
Your activity may also be subject to requirements under other environmental legislation and services:
Environmental permissions are required by law, such as:
- Environmental Protection Act
- Ontario Water Resources Act
- Environmental Assessment Act
- Pesticides Act
- Safe Drinking Water Act
- Nutrient Management Act
An environmental officer can enter your facility at any time to ensure compliance with Ontario’s environmental laws.
Search environmental permissions
Search for activities with environmental permissions in your community using the map-based search tool, Access Environment.
Use these maps
If you’re applying for an environmental permission, use these maps for locations of, for example, existing landfill sites or areas where restrictions on business activities may be in place to protect the local water supply.
For more information
For more information about environmental permissions, you may contact the Client Services and Permissions Branch:
- by phone at 416-314-8001 ( Toll-free: 1-800-461-6290), Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org