Approval of the terms of reference for the TTC Spadina Subway Extension Environmental Assessment
The ministry’s approval of environmental assessment terms of reference for an extension of the Spadina subway in Toronto from Downsview Station to Steeles Avenue.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Notice of approval – terms of reference
Proponents: Toronto Transit Commission and the City of Toronto
Environmental assessment file number: EA-02-06
As provided for by Section 6(4) of the Environmental Assessment Act, Terms of Reference, as submitted for approval to the Ministry of the Environment on June 18, 2004, to govern the preparation of an environmental assessment for the above-noted undertaking, are hereby approved with the following amendments:
- Table 5-Proposed Factors and Subfactors Section 1 Transportation Service is amended by adding the following subsection:
- Potential effects on freight and passenger rail service, safety and operations during construction. Evaluation criteria and mitigation for this subfactor is to be developed in the Environmental Assessment in consultation with CN Rail.
- Table 6-Potential Environmental Effects, Section 2 Construction Impacts is amended by adding the following subsection:
- Potential effects on freight and passenger rail service, safety and operations from construction activities.
Pursuant to subsection 6.1(1) of the Environmental Assessment Act, any environmental assessment, submitted to the Ministry of the Environment pursuant to subsection 6.2(1) of the Environmental Assessment Act, must be prepared in accordance with the Terms of Reference as hereby approved.
I am satisfied that an environmental assessment prepared in accordance with the Terms of Reference will be consistent with the purpose of the Environmental Assessment Act and the public interest for the following reasons:
- The Terms of Reference requires that the proponents meet the intent of the Environmental Assessment Act by providing for the identification of issues and concerns, and the preferred means of addressing them with due regard to the adoption of environmental management, protection and mitigation measures.
- The Terms of Reference has been reviewed by the public and government agencies. There are no outstanding concerns that cannot be addressed in the environmental assessment.
- The Terms of References requires the proponents to implement a consultation plan during the preparation of the environmental assessment. In addition, the Environmental Assessment Act requires continued consultation and documentation of the consultation for the preparation of the environmental assessment. As well there will be additional opportunity for public and agency consultation when the environmental assessment is submitted to the ministry.
Dated the 13th day of September 2004 at Toronto.
Original signed by:
Minister of the Environment
135 St. Clair Avenue West, 12th floor