Community Health Centres
How to get primary care, education and other health services through Community Health Centres (CHC).
As of January 1, 2023, Ontarians will be able to stop in at pharmacies across the province to receive prescriptions for 13 common ailments, such as rashes, pink eye, insect bites or urinary tract infections with just their health card. This service makes it more convenient to access care by removing a doctor’s office visit and will come at no extra cost to Ontarians.
On this page Skip this page navigation
If you need help accessing primary care, a CHC can help you see doctors, nurse practitioners, social workers, dietitians and others.
You can receive health care, education and advice, as well as access to resources from other community agencies from CHCs. CHCs also work in the community to offer health promotion initiatives within schools, in housing developments, and in the workplace.
May vary by location:
- primary health care services
- domestic violence prevention and treatment (including counseling, addictions counseling, conflict resolution, anger management, stress management, self-esteem enhancement)
- parenting education and parent-child resource rooms
- anti-racist initiatives and other programs to promote tolerance, cultural diversity and acceptance of minority groups
- education, counseling and groups related to weight/body image issues, peer relationships, healthy sexuality
- programs for teen mothers
When to use this option
- you do not have a health care provider
- you are a newcomer to Canada
- you face barriers such as language, culture, physical disabilities, homelessness and poverty
- you have mental health or addiction issues
- you require counseling or need some help with housing issues
- you’re without health insurance in Ontario
You do not need a referral to use this service. You may need to be already enrolled with the CHC to make an appointment. Please contact a CHC for more details.
Contact the CHC nearest you to make an appointment. Please bring your health card to your appointment.
There is no fee for this service.