Information about getting and renewing an Ontario health card or converting a red and white health card to a secure photo health card.
Health card services
Renew a health card
How to renew an Ontario health card.
Get a health card
How to get an Ontario health card.
Renew child and senior health card
How to renew your child (under the age of 15½)
or senior (over the age of 80) health card.
Book an appointment to renew or re-register an Ontario Health Card
The appointment booking service allows you to book, view, change or cancel an appointment.
Change the name on a health card
How to change your name on your health card.
Change the address on a health card
How to change the address on your health card.
Organ and tissue donation
How to register your consent to donate your organs and tissue.
Convert a red and white health card to a photo health card
To switch from a red and white health card to a photo health card, visit a ServiceOntario centre with the following:
- a completed health card re-registration form
- three original documents (Ontario Health Coverage Document List) (form 9998E-82); one to prove citizenship or immigration status, one to prove residency in Ontario, and one to prove identity
No appointment is necessary. Visit any ServiceOntario centre during regular office hours to convert to a secure photo health card. You can save time and book an appointment online at some ServiceOntario centres
If you cannot visit a ServiceOntario centre for a medical reason, you must have a physician or nurse practitioner complete a Health Card Medical Exemption Request form. The completed form, along with your required documents, must be brought into a ServiceOntario centre by someone else on your behalf to complete your renewal or re-registration.
Frequently asked questions
- Why is it important for me to update my address on my health card when I move?
- Can I still get Ontario Health Insurance Plan coverage if I leave Ontario?
- What do I need to bring to my appointment to renew my health card?
- How can I replace a lost/stolen/damaged health card?
- Can I cancel or change my appointment once it has been booked?