Electronic logging devices for commercial motor vehicles
Learn about the requirements for electronic logging devices (ELDs) in Ontario.
On this page Skip this page navigation
In 2019, Transport Canada announced that commercial motor vehicle drivers who cross provincial/territorial borders must use certified electronic logging devices (ELDs) to record their hours of service. To give the industry, provinces and territories time to get ready, the federal regulations will not be enforced until January 1, 2023.
Ontario will also require certain truck drivers who operate within the province to use certified ELDs as of June 12, 2022. To align the enforcement dates for both federal and provincial regulations, Ontario’s ELD requirements will not be enforced until January 1, 2023.
Ontario will require certain bus drivers who operate within the province to use ELDs starting on July 1, 2023.
In most cases, if you are not currently required to complete a daily log, you will not be required to use an ELD.
Who will be required to use ELDs
If you are currently required to complete a daily log to record your hours of service, you must use a certified ELD by June 12, 2022 when operating a:
- truck within Ontario only
- truck or bus crossing provincial/territorial borders
- truck or bus with licence plates from outside Ontario
Starting July 1, 2023, bus drivers operating within Ontario only who are currently required to complete a daily log to record hours of service must use a certified ELD.
You will be exempt from using an ELD in Ontario if you are:
- driving within 160 km of where you began your day and returning to the same location where you began
- driving a school bus
- driving a rented commercial motor vehicle, if the rental agreement is 30 days or less and has not been extended or renewed
- driving a commercial motor vehicle with a model year before 2000
- an employee or operator of a commercial motor vehicle dealership or manufacturer and you are driving the vehicle for the purpose of sale or lease. The vehicle must not be carrying a load or towing another vehicle, unless the vehicle being towed is empty and has at least one set of wheels on the surface of the roadway.
- exempt from Hours of Service requirements defined in Ontario Regulation 555/06.
If you are driving outside of Ontario, be sure to check the ELD requirements of each province and territory you plan to travel to.
Transport Canada is responsible for approving ELDs.