Commercial vehicle operators’ safety manual
Read the guide to learn about Ontario’s requirements for operating commercial vehicles such as trucks and buses.
On this page Skip this page navigation
The Ministry of Transportation is responsible for the province’s highways, and is committed to making them safe, efficient and high quality.
This guide for commercial truck and bus operators:
- can help you understand the legislative requirements you must meet to be safe and compliant on Ontario’s highways
- should increase your knowledge of the provincial safety requirements
In this guide, you can find:
- Module 1 — Introduction
- Module 2 — Getting started
- Module 3 — National safety code
- Module 4 — Commercial vehicle operator’s registration
- Module 5 — Ontario specific enforcement issues
- Module 6 — Facility audit and operator monitoring and intervention
- Module 7 — Safety programs, record keeping and driver files
- Module 8 — Preventive maintenance, record keeping and vehicle files
- Module 9 — Hours of service
- Module 10 — Dangerous goods
- Module 11 — Vehicle weights and dimensions
- Module 12 — Driver and vehicle licensing
- Module 13 — Passenger transportation services
- Module 14 — Cargo securement
- Module 15 — Terms of reference
Study guide for the Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration (CVOR) written test
This guide is also the study guide for the Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration written test. The CVOR test must be completed prior to obtaining a CVOR certificate. Find details in Module 4 – CVOR.
The test is based on information included in this manual. Even if some sections do not apply to specific operators, it is important to read all materials in the manual before you take the test.
The appendices of this manual are intended for future reference. The information in the appendices is not included in the test questions.
When preparing for the CVOR test, we recommend the following modules:
- Module 4 – CVOR
- Module 5 – Ontario specific enforcement issues
- Module 7 – Safety programs, record keeping and driver files
- Module 8 – Preventive maintenance, record keeping and vehicle files
- Module 9 – Hours of service
Please note: the CVOR test is not only based on these modules, however, these sections may assist with studying.
If you require this information in an alternative format, please contact us.