If you operate a commercial vehicle in Ontario, you must have a valid CVOR certificate. Keep your information up to date and carry your certificate (or a copy) in each commercial motor vehicle operated under the CVOR certificate.

You will be required to show your certificate to enforcement or police officers during an inspection.

The CVOR system monitors and evaluates operators’ safety records. It includes information such as:

  • fleet size
  • kilometres travelled
  • business ownership structure
  • overall violation rate
  • safety rating
  • convictions
  • reportable collisions
  • Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) safety inspections
  • Ministry of Transportation interventions such as letters, interviews, audits and sanctions

You can get or renew a CVOR certificate online, by mail or fax.

Who needs a certificate

If your vehicle is plated in Ontario, the United States or Mexico, you need a CVOR for:

  • trucks with a gross weight or registered gross weight over 4,500 kg
  • buses with a seating capacity of 10 or more passengers
  • concrete pumps and mobile cranes (not including off-road mobile cranes)
  • tow trucks, including:
    • vehicles with a flatbed that can tilt to load and are used exclusively to tow or transport other motor vehicles
    • any motor vehicle designed, modified, configured or equipped to tow another motor vehicle

You do not need a CVOR certificate for:

  • trucks or buses plated in another Canadian province or territory (you must have a safety certificate from the province or territory where the vehicle was plated)
  • trucks (other than a tow truck) with registered gross weight or gross weight of 4,500 kg or less, whether towing a trailer or not
  • trucks or buses leased by an individual for 30 days or less to move personal goods or to carry passengers at no fare
  • ambulances, fire trucks, hearses, casket wagons
  • unladen trucks or buses operating under the authority of dealer plates or in-transit permits
  • buses used for personal purposes without compensation
  • motor homes used for personal purposes
  • pickup trucks that:
    • have a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating not exceeding 6,500 kg (14,330 lb)
    • are being used for personal purposes without compensation
    • are fitted with either the original, unmodified box installed by the manufacturer, or an unmodified replacement box that duplicates the one installed by the manufacturer
    • are not carrying or towing a trailer carrying commercial cargo or tools, or equipment of any type normally used for commercial purposes

Operator responsibilities

A CVOR operator (also referred to as a “carrier”) is the person or corporation responsible for the operation of the commercial motor vehicle, driver and goods or passengers being transported including:

  • the conduct of the driver
    • employing qualified licensed drivers
    • monitoring the safety performance of drivers, including hours of service
    • resolving driver safety issues when they are identified
    • keeping hours of service records including supporting documents
    • providing appropriate driver training
  • the mechanical safety condition of the vehicle
    • keeping vehicles in good, safe condition at all times
    • ensuring that daily and annual/semi-annual inspections are completed
    • keeping vehicle maintenance and repair records
    • tracking and recording fleet and kilometric travel records
  • cargo securement
  • notifying the Ministry of Transportation about CVOR changes such as:
    • names
    • addresses
    • telephone numbers
    • fleet data
    • kilometric travel
    • changes in corporate officers
  • renewing your CVOR certificate and not allowing your CVOR to expire

Carrier safety ratings, interventions and sanctions

Every operator is assigned one of five ratings based on their safety performance:

  1. Excellent
  2. Satisfactory
  3. Satisfactory—unaudited
  4. Conditional
  5. Unsatisfactory

Your safety rating is available to the public and can affect your ability to promote your business and attract customers.

If your safety performance doesn’t meet Ontario’s standards, you may face interventions such as:

  • disciplinary letters
  • interviews
  • audits
  • fleet size limitations
  • plate seizure
  • suspension or cancellation of your operating privileges

An “Unsatisfactory” safety rating will cause your operating privileges to be suspended or cancelled throughout Canada.

Get a new certificate

To get a CVOR certificate you must:

  • apply online or submit an application form by mail or fax
  • pay a $255 fee (subject to change without notice)
  • complete a written test (for Ontario-based applicants only)

When you apply, you will need to provide information about:

  • the type of operation
  • corporate officers, directors and partners
  • estimated fleet size and kilometres travelled for the upcoming year
  • if operating currently, your actual fleet size and kilometres travelled in the past year

If you are applying for a CVOR for the first time, you will be are required to submit supporting documents such as Articles of Incorporation, Master Business Licence and proof of identification.

Submit an application

You can submit an application online and pay via Visa or Mastercard if you are applying for a new CVOR certificate:

  • in your own name as a sole proprietor
  • as a corporation, in that corporation's incorporated name

You must submit your application by mail or fax if you are:

  • Submitting an application on behalf of multiple parties operating business as general partners. You must include an application form from each partner in the business and from the business itself. Supporting legal documents must be provided.
  • Applying to re-enter the program, if your CVOR certificate expired more than one year ago. Please email the Ontario’s CVOR Client Services at CVOR@ontario.ca to request a re-entry application.

When you apply by mail or fax, you can pay by:

  • Visa
  • Mastercard
  • cheque
  • bank draft, money or order or certified funds payable to the “Minister of Finance/MTO

Download an application form to apply by mail or fax.

Send your completed form, payment and supporting documents to the CVOR office.

CVOR written test

Once we review your application, you will receive a “CVOR test required” letter from the Ministry of Transportation. You must bring the letter and identification to a DriveTest Centre to complete the test in person.

The CVOR test is multiple-choice and based on the content of the Commercial Vehicle Operators Safety Manual. Complete the CVOR practice test (PDF) to prepare.

The fee for the test is $32 (subject to change without notice).

Receiving your CVOR certificate

After you have complete all the application requirements, we will mail or email your CVOR certificate to you, depending on which method you select. You must put a copy in each of the vehicles operating under that CVOR certificate.

Renew your certificate

If you have a “Satisfactory” or “Excellent” safety rating, you must renew your CVOR certificate every two years. If you have a “Satisfactory—unaudited” or “Conditional” safety rating, you must renew your CVOR certificate every year.

We will send you a renewal reminder 60 days before your current certificate expires. If you wish to renew, you must do so before your certificate expires.

When you renew, you will need to provide:

  • total number of vehicles
  • total number of drivers
  • actual distance travelled in Ontario
  • actual distance travelled in the rest of Canada
  • actual distance travelled in the USA and/or Mexico

The renewal fee is $51 (subject to change without notice).

You can renew and pay online, by mail or fax.

To renew online, you will need:

  • your CVOR number
  • CVOR start date (can be found on your Commercial Vehicle Operator Record – Level 2 Abstract)
  • valid credit card (Visa or Mastercard)

To renew your CVOR by mail or fax you must return your completed renewal form to Ontario’s CVOR office at least 15 days before your current certificate expires. You can pay by:

  • Visa or Mastercard
  • cheque
  • bank draft, money order or certified funds payable to "Minister of Finance/MTO"

Replace a lost or stolen certificate

To replace a CVOR certificate, complete the replacement application form.

Mail your completed form and the $37.75 fee to the CVOR office.

You can make a payment using:

  • Visa or Mastercard using the credit card authorization form
  • cheque or money-order payable to the “Minister of Finance/MTO
  • bank draft, money order or certified funds payable to "Minister of Finance/MTO"

Update your information

If you have CVOR certificate, you should review your safety record regularly to ensure the information on file is up to date and notify us within 15 days if:

  • your company address changes
  • company name changes
  • your corporate officers or their addresses change
  • your fleet size or the number of kilometres travelled in Canada and Ontario has changed by at least 20% from what was reported when you registered or renewed

To report any of these changes, or if there is an error on your CVOR record, email CVOR@ontario.ca for an update form or contact a Client Services Consultant at 1-800-387-7736 or 416-246-7166.

Amalgamating corporations

To notify us about an amalgamation, you must submit all of the following:

  • notarized letter of authorization from director(s) of the company, on company letterhead, outlining the details of the request, signed and dated
  • two documents showing proof of address such as a telephone, gas or hydro bill, lease, mortgage or current property tax
  • legal documents including Articles of Amendment, Master Business Licence and Articles of Amalgamation

Please send the documents by fax or mail to:

Ministry of Transportation
Licensing Administration and Support Office
87 Sir William Hearst Ave. Room 178
Toronto, Ontario
M3M 0B4
Fax: 416-235-4412

Online Carrier Records

You can review your CVOR record online anytime for free by logging in with the email address listed on your CVOR record. Online Carrier Records include:

  • a summary of your safety performance
  • operational data
  • detailed information on all collisions, convictions and inspections
  • intervention history

If you need to update your email address, complete an update form and send it to cvor@ontario.ca or call 1-800-387-7736 (within Ontario) or 416-246-7166.

CVOR abstracts

A CVOR abstract is a summary of a carrier and/or driver’s safety performance, including collisions, convictions and inspections. There are three different types:

  1. A CVOR Driver Abstract
    • a five-year record of collisions, safety-related offences, convictions and inspections relating to a driver.
    • only includes information about when the driver was operating in Ontario
    • shows the driver licence status and medical due date
    • available to the general public
  1. CVOR Abstract (Level 1)
    • one-page summary document
    • summarizes a carrier's record for a two-year period
    • available to the general public
  1. CVOR Abstract (Level 2)
    • includes summary data for a two-year period
    • provides detailed event data for collisions, convictions and inspections for a five-year period
    • available to the carrier only

There is $5.00 fee to order an uncertified abstract and a $10 fee to order a certified abstract. You can order and pay online with VISA or Mastercard, by mail or in person at ServiceOntario.

Level 2 abstracts are sent about 15 days after your order is received. We will mail it to the address on file for those carriers. To have your Level 2 abstract sent to a different address, you must include a written request on corporate letterhead.

Order online

Order by mail

Complete the application form and mail it with your payment to:

Ministry of Transportation
Information and Data Retrieval Unit
87 Sir William Hearst Avenue, Room 158D
Toronto, Ontario
M3M 0B4

Pay by cheque or use an authorization form to pay with your credit card. If you are paying by cheque and you are ordering more than one abstract for a carrier, driver or vehicle you must include separate cheques for each one.

Other commercial vehicle products

The following free services are available online:

Commercial Vehicle Inspection Reports (CVIR)

CVIR reports are completed by officers during level 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 inspections of drivers and/or commercial vehicles.

CVIR reports are automatically emailed to the CVOR holder’s email address on file. You can also request a copy of a CVIR report by completing a request form and mail or fax it to the CVOR office.

Facility audits

The Ministry of Transportation audits operators to evaluate safety practices and compliance with Ontario’s highway safety legislation. A facility audit is a formal intervention. Facility audits include an examination of records related to:

  • driver qualifications
  • driver hours of service
  • collision reporting and review
  • vehicle inspection, maintenance and repair

The auditor will present their findings to the operator at the conclusion of an audit. Violations that the auditor identifies during the audit may result in charges being laid against the operator, a driver, or both. The results of the facility audit and any related convictions will affect an operator’s CVOR record.

You can request a voluntary facility audit to improve your safety rating by completing. Email the request form to cvor@ontario.ca.

Learn more about facility audits in the CVOR safety manual.

Contact the CVOR office

For questions about the CVOR program, or to submit your application and requests please contact:

1-800-387-7736 (within Ontario) or 416-246-7166


Ministry of Transportation
Commercial Safety and Compliance Branch
301 St. Paul Street, 3rd Floor
St. Catharines, Ontario
L2R 7R4