Learn about requirements for commercial vehicles such as trucks or buses, and how to get what you need to operate one.
On this page Skip this page navigation
News and updates
- Ontario’s online permitting system for commercial vehicles has been updated to be more user-friendly. New guides are available to help you access the services you need.
- Electronic logging devices will be required for most truck drivers by June 12, 2022.
- You can now defer payments or request exemptions from renewal fees for your heavy commercial vehicle.
- Ontario has new renewal deadlines for driver and vehicle products, including many for commercial vehicles and carriers.
- Find the latest information about highway closures, weather conditions, rest areas and more on Ontario 511 or download the app.
Online services for commercial operators
If you know the permit, certificate or online transaction you need, you can access the online services below. If you aren’t sure, learn more about Ontario’s requirements for different types of commercial vehicles and the products and services you may need.
- get or renew a CVOR certificate
- online permitting system for oversize/overweight, International Registration Plan (IRP) and others
- get an Online Carrier Record
- order an Abstract
- other products
Become a commercial driver
Get a commercial vehicle driver’s licence
The class of driver’s licence and training you need depends on the type of commercial vehicle you want to drive.
- read the truck handbook
- get a truck driver’s licence (full Class A, restricted Class A and Class D)
- mandatory training for Class A applicants
- get a bus driver’s licence (school bus, transit, and ambulance)
- medical, vision and hearing standards for commercial drivers
Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration (CVOR) certificates, vehicle registration and renewals
If you have purchased a new or used commercial vehicle, you must follow these steps before driving:
- Get a CVOR certificate if your vehicle meets the requirements.
- Have it inspected at a certified Motor Vehicle Inspection Station (MVIS).
- Get it insured.
- Register your vehicle with ServiceOntario or as part of the International Registration Plan (IRP) if you frequently travel outside Ontario throughout Canada and the United States.
- Use the fee calculator to find the registration or renewal costs for your vehicle.
- See the fee schedules for trucks, buses, school buses and farm vehicles.
Permits and conditions for oversize/overweight vehicles and vehicles with special configurations
Learn about the permits and restrictions for oversize/overweight vehicles and loads, and vehicles with special configurations.
- oversize/overweight vehicles
- long combination vehicles
- extended stinger-steer auto carriers
- saddlemount combinations
- vehicles with 6x2 drivetrains
Learn more about the safety requirements for commercial vehicles operating in Ontario.