As of June 2019, the Enhanced Driver’s Licence (EDL) is no longer offered.

The Enhanced Driver’s Licence (EDL) was a travel document that acted as proof of identity and citizenship when traveling to the United States by road or water.

What you need to know

If you have a valid EDL, you can use it until it is expired or needs to be replaced. The expiry date is on the front of your EDL.

Other travel documents

You may apply for other travel documents, such as a Canadian PassportePassport, FAST or NEXUS.

Exchange an EDL for a driver’s licence

You can exchange your EDL for a driver’s licence at any ServiceOntario centre.

What to bring

When you visit a ServiceOntario centre, bring your EDL.

Cost and delivery


There is no cost to change your EDL to a driver’s licence.


Your new driver’s licence will arrive in the mail within 6 to 8 weeks.
Note: you will receive a temporary driver’s licence until your licence arrives in the mail.

Lost or stolen EDL

If your EDL is lost or stolen, immediately contact your local police department and file a police report.

You will now have to exchange your EDL for a driver’s licence, get a replacement driver’s licence.

Contact us

If you have any questions or need more information, please call us at: