Experience design co-op
Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received 32 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
What you’ll be doing
The Ontario Digital Service is improving the online experience for citizens by reimagining government services. As an experience design co-op, you will help make government online services feel simple, seamless and intuitive.
On any given day, you may be designing a research plan to test the extent to which citizens can use a new digital product, conducting one-to-one interviews or usability tests, supporting our ResearchOps efforts, or working with our product teams to tackle a user research challenge.
Our co-op students have the digital skills and enthusiasm to support Ontario’s Digital Government transformation.
- You will put your curiosity into practice, approaching complex design challenges from a neutral point-of-view.
- You will put your organizational skills to work, playing a collaborative role in coordinating the various user research activities taking place in our labs. You may also be involved with presenting research findings to the Chief Digital Officer or any number of ministry partners.
What you bring to the team
- You think digital by default and embrace new ideas that put users first in order to find the best solutions.
- You believe diversity and inclusion helps create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results, knowing the best ideas come from everywhere and everyone.
- You have a strong moral compass. You consider power dynamics, bias, and protection of privacy in all your research projects, but also know how to differentiate between high-risk research, and low-risk research.
Requirements of the job
User research skills
- You have experience testing your ideas early and often
- You understand generative and exploratory user research and when to use each method
- You are familiar with using a range of user research and user testing techniques (e.g. one-on-one interviews, card sorting, ethnographic studies, etc.)
- You can explain user research results in a way that is easy to understand and helps create empathy for the end user
- You can take the outputs of user research activities into product iterations
- You are comfortable creating visual artefacts such as presentation decks, wireframes or prototypes
UX design skills
- You have an eye for design - this isn’t just about making things pretty, it’s about understanding how to leverage design to create a desired impact
- You have experience using the Adobe Creative suite
- You have experience using prototyping software, such as Figma, Balsamiq, Adobe XD, Sketch or InVision
- You can seamlessly integrate user and usability testing into prototyping development cycles
Independent team player
- You work as part of a team, but can execute tasks thoroughly and independently
- You anticipate issues before they happen and proactively address them
- You take initiative and step up to support the team, and believe that no task is too big or small!
Why join the team
Join us and help make government work better for people by delivering simple, effective and intuitive digital services and products. We provide employees with constructive feedback to foster their career growth, and opportunities to collaborate with talented people.
- work that makes an impact on society
- learning and development opportunities
- open and inclusive work environment
- flexible work arrangements
- Job title: Experience design co-op
- Area of government: Ontario Digital Service
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Salary: $757.49 - $1009.99 weekly before tax, depending on work term
- Job term: Temporary, generally four months or eight months
- Hours of work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6)
- Eligibility: Any student enrolled in a co-operative education program approved by an accredited college or university. You must be eligible to work in Canada.
- Tentative interview dates: Monday, July 26 and Tuesday, July 27, 2021.
How to apply
If you’re interested, skip the cover letter and just send us an email including:
- your resume
- where you saw our job ad
- why this is your dream job
- a link to your online portfolio or a compressed version of your portfolio in PDF format
Submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org – put “Hire me - Experience design co-op” in the subject line.
Please do not include shortened URLs, because your email will not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6).
We’re accepting submissions until Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Inclusion and accessibility
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know via email at email@example.com.
Check out our blog on co-op jobs with the ODS, where we answer a lot of common questions!