Get ServiceOntario renewal reminders
On this page Skip this page navigation
Sign up to stay up-to-date
Get free renewal reminders to let you know when your licence plate, driver’s licence, health card, or Ontario Photo Card is about to expire.
Text, email or phone
Choose how you want to get your renewal reminders.
Never forget to renew
Get reminders 60 and 30 days before it's time to renew.
You can sign up for renewal reminders if you have a:
- full driver’s licence (for example, G, M or GM)
- combination licence with one full class (for example, GM2, G1M)
- green photo health card
- Ontario Photo Card, and
- you are 16 years of age or older
You cannot sign up if you have a:
- jointly owned vehicle
- fleet or company owned vehicle
- novice class driver’s licence (for example, G1, M2, G2M1)
- commercial class of driver’s licence (for example, A, B, C, D, E or F)
- vehicle registered with the International Registration Plan
To sign up, you will need your:
- up-to-date postal code
- if you drive, it’s the one on your driver’s licence or green ownership paper
- if you have moved, update your address before you sign up.
- licence plate number
- health card
- Ontario Photo Card
- driver’s licence
- if you don't have a driver's licence, use your vehicle permit (green ownership paper)
Cost and delivery
By text, email or phone.
Change your preferences
With an account changing your preferences or canceling reminders can all be done from your profile settings. Click here to learn more.
To change your contact information or how we send you reminders, you must:
- Stop your existing reminders — follow cancellation instructions for text, email or phone.
- Sign up again to update your contact information or reminder preferences.
Once you sign up, your reminders will update automatically:
- when you add a new plate or vehicle under your name
- if you own multiple vehicles — just add any of the plates under your name, and you will receive reminders for all your plates
To cancel reminders, follow the instructions found in the message(s) you receive. If you signed up for multiple types of reminders such as text, email or phone, you have to cancel your reminders in each communication channel separately.
To restart reminders, you will need to sign up again.
What to expect after you sign up
We will send you:
- the email, text or phone reminders that you signed up for 60 and 30 days before expiration
- a final reminder 30 days after expiration if you have not renewed your product
- updates about the renewal reminder service
- only links that include a full Ontario.ca or ServiceOntario.ca website (URL) in our reminders (ex. Ontario.ca/PhotoCardReminder)
We will never:
- include sensitive information in reminders (for example, your date of birth, health card or driver’s licence number)
- connect you with a real person as the reminders are automated recorded messages
- demand or ask for any payment by email, text or phone
- tell you something is wrong and request you call or click a link
- ask for your credit card information, date of birth or banking details
- threaten to report fees or fines to police, banks or credit or collection agencies
Exemptions for driver’s licence holders and vehicle owners
Mailed renewal notices for driver’s licence holders and vehicle owners will continue for:
- individuals aged 70 years and older
- individuals with a driver’s licence class A, B, C, D, E, or F
- individuals with endorsements that require additional testing (i.e airbrake)
- individuals who have a licence plate sticker associated with a company/fleet vehicle
- individuals who have jointly owned vehicles, and
- heavy commercial vehicles
Exemptions for health card holders
Mailed renewal notices for health card holders will continue for:
- individuals age 16 and under
- individuals age 70 and above
- individuals living in remote locations or isolated communities (e.g. no in-person ServiceOntario locations are available) and where renewals are done by mail with the assistance of nursing stations
- individuals residing in a publicly funded long-term care facility where renewals are done via fax or by mail, and
- individuals with a health card that has a definite end date, temporary foreign workers, homeless, foreign clergy, migrant farm workers, temporary resident permit holders, applicant for permanent resident, applicant for citizenship, or where coverage has otherwise been ended where renewals are done at public offices only and need to provide additional documents in order to renew
To process your request, your personal information will be collected to:
- verify your identity and determine your eligibility with the Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of Health
- allow ServiceOntario to send you reminders
If you have any questions, please see ServiceOntario’s Privacy Statement.