Hunting rules

Before you can hunt in Ontario, you’ll need:

  • an Outdoors Card
  • hunter accreditation
  • any required hunting licences and tags for the game you wish to hunt


RCMP, military or diplomatic personnel who have taken a post in and lived in Ontario for at least 1 month.

This includes:

  • a person with diplomatic credentials in an embassy, consulate or trade commission of a foreign government
  • a civilian employee of a service agency attached to the staff of an embassy, consulate or trade commission of a foreign government
  • a member of the armed forces of a foreign government
  • a member of the RCMP or Canadian Armed Forces
  • a civilian employee of the RCMP or Canadian Armed Forces
  • an immediate family member of any of the above who lives with the person in Ontario

A member of the Canadian Armed Forces whose primary residence is in Ontario and is temporarily posted outside of the province is considered a resident of Ontario and can get a resident hunting licence.

Get your first hunting licence

If you have hunter accreditation or were licensed to hunt by an Ontario-recognized authority from your home jurisdiction, you don't need to take the Ontario Hunter Education Program. You must follow all federal firearms regulations and carry appropriate documentation with you if you are hunting with a gun.

To get an Ontario resident hunting licence, you need to:

  1. Complete the Ontario Hunter Education Program (if not previously qualified to hunt)
  2. Contact the Natural Resources Information and Support Centre at 1-800-387-7011. You may also go in-person to a participating ServiceOntario location.
  3. Provide your:
    • legal first, middle and last name
    • home and mailing address
    • date of birth
    • height and eye colour
  4. Present valid credentials:
    • a letter on the official letterhead from your Commanding Officer Officer or your Official Posting Notice stating your posting date and location and any dependents that are residing with you in Ontario
    • a resident hunting licence (or equivalent) from another jurisdiction or the Ontario Hunter Education Examination Report
  5. Buy your Outdoors Card

Learn more about getting an Ontario resident hunting licence