Kids’ Fish Art Contest
Learn how to enter the 20th annual Kids’ Fish Art Contest and read about the winners of last year’s contest.
On this page Skip this page navigation
How it works
Ontario students are invited to enter the Kids’ Fish Art Contest. This free annual contest lets you show off your artistic talents and learn about Ontario’s native fish and their habitats. There is one winner for each of the three categories:
- Grades 4-6
- Grades 7-9
- Grades 10-12
The contest is open to all students who are:
- residents of Ontario
- currently attending elementary or secondary school (or homeschooled)
- between the Grades of 4-12
Only one entry per student will be accepted.
The contest is not open to the immediate relatives of employees of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry.
We thank our partner, Lucky Strike Bait Works, for their generous donation of fishing gear to the winners of this year’s contest.
Winning artwork will be featured in the 2024 Ontario Fishing Regulations.
Enter the 20th annual Kids’ Fish Art Contest
Students can pick between:
- longnose gar
- lake trout
- Closes: December 31, 2022
- Announcement of winners: March 2023
- Size: 8.5" x 11" (letter-sized)
- Orientation: horizontal
- Thickness: up to 0.6 cm (1/4")
- provide your artistic interpretation of the fish in its habitat
- use techniques like scratch-board, pointillism, acrylics, oil, dry brush, watercolour, pencil crayon, crosshatch, collage, linoleum printing or crayon
- submit your original, hand-done creation
- use photographs, tracings, computer-generated artwork
- submit freehand copies of other people’s work
- use mattes, frames, cover sheets or borders
- put any lettering, signatures or initials on the front of the design
Artwork is judged on quality and artistic interpretation.
How to enter
- Prepare your original artwork
- Download and complete the entry form
- Mail your artwork and entry form, postmarked no later than December 31, 2022, to:
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Kids' Fish Art Contest
Fish and Wildlife Services Branch, Attention: Elizabeth Wheeler
P.O. Box 7000
300 Water Street
19th annual contest winners
For the 19th annual contest, students could choose between brown trout and small-mouth bass. The overall winner will have their artwork on the front of the 2022 Young Angler's Licence.
Thank you to all students who entered and to our generous contest partners, STAEDTLER Mars and Lucky Strike.
Grades 10-12 and grand prize winner
Eric Choi of London, Ontario
Eric wins fishing gear from Lucky Strike Bait Works and classroom art supplies from STAEDTLER Mars.
Eric's artwork will also appear on the front of the 2022 Young Angler's Licence. Congratulations, Eric!
Shree Saraswathi Shanmugam of North York, Ontario
Shree Saraswathi wins fishing gear from Lucky Strike Bait Works and classroom art supplies from STAEDTLER Mars. Congratulations, Shree Saraswathi!
Chenxi Wu of Oakville, Ontario
Chenxi wins fishing gear from Lucky Strike Bait Works and classroom art supplies from STAEDTLER Mars. Congratulations, Chenxi!
The next Kids' Fish Art Contest will launch in Fall 2022. Please check back for updated dates and details.