Lead Quality Assurance (QA) Automation Engineer
Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received 74 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
Join The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) to design and deliver the future of government services.
People are at the heart of our mission to ensure that the government works for everyone. Be a part of an impactful public service and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario, through our work using modern design, data and technology tools and practices.
Help us scale impact across the public sector, tackling some of the most important challenges of our time. We work in an agile multidisciplinary, inclusive, collaborative team.
Bring your curiosity and build the future with us.
As a Lead Quality Assurance (QA) Automation Engineer in the Ontario Digital Service, you will be presented with the opportunity to support digital transformation of top government priorities. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary, impactful team that promotes digital transformation within government while using user-centric design automation strategies and new technology trends. We are looking for a person with a background and hands-on experience in implementing complex, IT testing frameworks, and solutions.
The ideal candidate should have hands-on experience guiding, testing and delivering quality digital products.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Lead QA Automation Engineer, you will:
- Lead design, development and implementation of QA Framework and standards to create cost-effective, high-performing, reliable and simple to use IT solutions in an Agile and DevOps environment.
- Have a unique opportunity to contribute in delivery of the top digital government priorities that positively impact Ontarians.
- Be part of an agile team that includes a Product Manager, Developers, Experience Designers, DevOps and Content Advisors.
What you bring to the team
- You possess strong technical skills and expertise and are not afraid to pursue new ideas and drive digital strategy.
- You are proactive, take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, empowered work environment.
- You have experience negotiating and influencing others by persuasion rather than authority.
- You are committed to sustaining the culture of equality, diversity and inclusion where teams are supported to achieve the best results for everyone to advance and thrive.
- You care about quality and can foster the QA Strategy for the teams.
How do I qualify?
Quality assurance skills
- You can provide technical expertise, strategic direction, design and build test frameworks/scripts/automation tools.
- You can implement software processes (QA, Agile testing, DevOps and SDLC), metrics and to deliver good quality product.
- You have espoused QA process improvements and practices across multiple products in a collaborative environment.
- You can translate functional, business, and system knowledge into effective test case planning, execution and automation.
- You can foster and support the adoption of proven testing patterns, processes, best practices and technologies.
- You have knowledge of modern architecture, programming languages, APIs, security, web standards, accessibility, and databases.
- You have written automated tests for unit, integration, e2e, cross-browser, APIs, performance, cross-device, and accessibility testing.
- You have experience with code version control systems, cloud delivery / deployment models, virtualization, and container solutions.
- You have expertise with how automation testing can enable Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and DevOps strategy.
- You can guide implementation of test frameworks, automation platform and ensure they are scalable, up-to-date, and robust.
Leadership and organizational skills
- You have led by example via taking ownership, being proactive and advocating for a collaborative environment.
- You have guide teams on large scale, complex IT projects and initiatives.
- You can foster a culture of ownership, mentorship and QA excellence.
- You can energize and motivate the team by recognizing successes and learning from failures.
- You can guide and support the teams in developing and performing QA plans and reviews.
Project and digital experience
- You have worked with agile product teams in planning, formulating product strategy, building a QA roadmap and setting timelines.
- You have sound judgment and prioritization skills to perform code reviews/QA activities in an Agile and DevOps environment.
- You have demonstrated the ability to get buy-in from a team to implement new and improved ways of doing things.
- You thrive on feedback and are comfortable transforming ideas generated through user research to create a better user experience.
- You have participated in retrospective sessions to identify potential QA improvement opportunities.
- You can work in a multi-disciplinary team environment to sell/present your ideas to colleagues, both technical and non-technical.
- You are adept at navigating complex issues, handling partners, senior management and stakeholder interactions.
- You have worked with partners to establish relationships with their security, operations, and IT teams.
- You have managed successful technical, business and people-related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality.
- You have developed processes to improve the efficiency and help others resolve the conflict and maintain trusting relationships.
For more information about the ODS, please check out the links below:
- About us
- Jobs at the ODS
- Digital Service Standard
- COVID-19: Digital Rapid Response
- Sign up for digital job alerts
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and anti-racism
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
- Job title: Lead Quality Assurance (QA) Automation Engineer
- Job ID: 168391
- Area of government: Ontario Digital Service / Technology Chapter
- Location: Toronto Region
The Ontario Digital Service is headquartered at 595 Bay Street (at Dundas Street West). In accordance with advice from the Ministry of Health and the Chief Medical Officer of Health, due to COVID-19, alternate work arrangements may be available.
- Salary: $74,136.00 - $109,246.00 Per Year*
- Job term: 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months
- Schedule: 6
- Compensation group: Association of Management, Administrative and Professional Crown Employees of Ontario
- Job code: 6A003 - InformationTechnology06
- T-TB-168391/21 - The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
How to apply
- You must apply online
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6)
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We’re accepting submissions until Monday, September 27, 2021 11:59 pm EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.