Minister's Exemption: Liquid Fuels Regulation 217/01
Signed Minister’s Exemption exempting vehicle manufacturers engaged in the handling, dispensing, and storage of fuels from complying with certain clauses of the Liquid Fuels Handling Code if certain conditions are met.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Pursuant to my authority under subsection 36 (5) of the above act, I hereby exempt vehicle manufacturers engaged in the handling, dispensing, and storage of fuels from clauses 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 of the Liquid Fuels Handling Code, as adopted in the Codes and Standards Adopted by Reference regulation, being Ontario Regulation 223/01, and incorporated in the Liquid Fuels regulation, being Ontario Regulation 217/01, and from section 9 of the Liquid Fuels regulation to the extent set out in condition 5 below.
To qualify for this exemption, the vehicle manufacturer must meet all of the following conditions:
- have a spill containment system in place, including spill kits on site and a spill containment operating procedure
- provide and/or maintain fire suppression system(s) and I or equipment in accordance with the Ontario Building Code (O. Reg. 332/12) under the Building Code Act, 1992) and the Ontario Fire Code (O. Reg. 213/07) under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997)
- comply with ventilation requirements as set out in the Ontario Fire Code
- provide a mandatory safety training program for all personnel carrying out indoor fueling activities prior to staff commencing those activities, and maintain records to log such training
- use only fuel dispensing equipment that is suitable for the application in accordance with good engineering practices
This exemption is effective upon signature.
Original signed by
The Honourable Lisa Thompson
Minister of Government and Consumer Services
January 23, 2020