Parents in partnership: a parent engagement policy for Ontario schools
Learn about the difference parents make when they work in partnership with the education system towards common goals.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Good schools are even better when parents are involved and engaged. By engaging more parents in their children's education, their children will achieve more and we will boost confidence and pride in public education.
The parent engagement policy:
- recognizes and supports the role parents have contributing to their children's learning at home and at school
- recognizes, encourages and supports many forms of parent engagement
- identifies strategies to remove barriers to parent involvement (for example, communications and language)
- supports parents to acquire the skills and knowledge they need to be engaged and involved in their child's learning
- provides a parent voice at the local level (for example, parent involvement committees, and school councils and as well as individual parents talking to teachers and principals)
This policy sets out four strategies for success; includes an action plan for schools, boards and the ministry; and showcases some of the many exemplary practices across the province.