Learn about how we are keeping students and staff safe during the 2022-23 school year.
Early years and child care
Elementary and secondary school
- School year calendar
- Full-day kindergarten
- Student assessment and report cards
- E-learning for students
- Student success programs for secondary students
- Special education
- Ontario’s strategy for international education
- Education and training after high school
- Safe and accepting schools
- Helping to create healthy schools
- French in English-Language schools
- Indigenous education
Information about what students learn, fees, fundraising and school funding plus ways to get involved in your child’s education and resources in many languages.
Information on professional development and teaching tools.
For school boards
Information on education funding grants, collective agreements and other resources.
What we do
- Develop policy and programs to support child care and early years programs for children and families.
- Make sure child care settings are safe and follow the law by funding, licensing and inspecting licensed child care providers.
- Fund and provide guidelines for the delivery of core services at EarlyON child and family centres.
- Fund and oversee publicly funded elementary and secondary school education.
- Develop and publish curriculum documents and teaching resources for kindergarten to Grade 12.
- Set provincial standards and guidelines for all assessment, evaluation and reporting for all students who attend public or private schools in Ontario.
- Oversee and set policies for the Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO), which administers provincial assessments to help improve student learning in reading, writing and math.
- Set requirements for student diplomas and certificates.
- Provide funding to build new schools and expand, retrofit or repair existing schools.
- Operate schools for blind, deaf and deafblind students.
- Register and inspect private schools that offer credits toward an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
Ministry of Education
315 Front Street West, 14th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M7A 0B8
Minister, media and news
Agencies, boards and commissions
The ministry is affiliated with the following independent agencies:
The ministry administers the following legislation:
- Child Care and Early Years Act
- Early Childhood Educators Act
- Education Act
- Education Quality and Accountability Office Act
- Ministry of Community and Social Services Act
- Ontario College of Teachers Act
- Ontario Educational Communications Authority Act
- Ontario French-language Educational Communications Authority Act
- Ontario Institute for Studies in Education Repeal Act
- Ontario School Trustees’ Council Act
- Ottawa-Carleton French-Language School Board Transferred Employees Act
- Provincial Schools Authority Act
- Ryan’s Law (Ensuring Asthma Friendly Schools)
- Sabrina’s Law
- School Boards Collective Bargaining Act
- School Trust Conveyances Act
- Teachers’ Pension Act
- Teaching Profession Act
Updated: June 08, 2023
Published: April 24, 2018