Information on professional development and teaching tools.
Early years and child care
What we do
- Develop policy and programs to support child care and early years programs for children and families.
- Make sure child care settings are safe and follow the law by funding, licensing and inspecting licensed child care providers.
- Fund and provide guidelines for the delivery of core services at EarlyON child and family centres.
- Fund and oversee publicly funded elementary and secondary school education.
- Develop and publish curriculum documents and teaching resources for kindergarten to Grade 12.
- Set provincial standards and guidelines for all assessment, evaluation and reporting for all students who attend public or private schools in Ontario.
- Oversee and set policies for the Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO), which administers provincial assessments to help improve student learning in reading, writing and math.
- Set requirements for student diplomas and certificates.
- Provide funding to build new schools and expand, retrofit or repair existing schools.
- Operate schools for blind, deaf and deafblind students.
- Register and inspect private schools that offer credits toward an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
Agencies, boards and commissions
The ministry is affiliated with the following independent agencies:
The ministry administers the following legislation:
Ontario School Trustees’ Council Act
Updated: February 27, 2024
Published: April 24, 2018