Physiotherapy clinics (government-funded)
How to get government-funded physiotherapy services.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Government-funded physiotherapy clinics provide assessment and treatment services, including rehabilitation following an injury or hospital stay.
If you are eligible, a registered physiotherapist will meet with you one-on-one to determine the best treatment plan for you and supervise the physiotherapy process.
Who is eligible
With a valid OHIP card you can receive government-funded physiotherapy if you are:
- 65 years or older
- 19 years or under
- any age after an overnight hospital stay (within the last 12 months) for a condition requiring physiotherapy
- a recipient of the Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program (any age, OHIP card not required)
Government-funded services may vary by location:
- out-patient physiotherapy clinic
- assessment and treatment of flare-ups or worsening symptoms of chronic conditions, a recent illness, injury or accident, and, post-operative rehabilitation
- physiotherapy can be enhanced with exercise and falls prevention classes
Some clinics also offer fee-based services such as:
- chiropody services
- complementary and alternative medicine
- massage therapy
- occupation therapy
- speech and language therapy
- sports medicine
If you need physiotherapy in your home, contact Home and Community Care Support Services to make arrangements.
Find your nearest Home and Community Care Support Services organization.
When to use this option
When your physician or nurse practitioner has referred you for physiotherapy after experiencing:
- a recent illness, injury, accident or surgery that led to a decline in function or movement
- a flare-up or worsening of symptoms from a previous fall, accident, surgery, or chronic condition that led to a decline in function or movement
You will need a referral from a doctor or nurse practitioner.
Contact the physiotherapy clinic to make an appointment.
Physiotherapy clinic directory
There is no fee if you are eligible for government-funded physiotherapy services. Please bring your health card to your appointment.