Request a certificate to cremate a body or ship a body out of province
Request a cremation or out of province body shipment certificate online.
On this page Skip this page navigation
In Ontario, you need a certificate approved by a coroner to legally cremate a body or ship a body outside of the province.
As of October 24, 2016, service providers are required to apply for these certificates online.
How to request a certificate
To request a certificate for cremation or a certificate to ship a body outside of Ontario, you must be a legal operator of a:
- licenced funeral home
- transfer service
Families may also apply directly for cremation certificates. For more information, please visit the Office of the Chief Coroner.
You need a ServiceOntario account and ONe-key ID to log-in, complete and submit your request for a certificate. If you don’t have one, you can create an account when you request a certificate.
Before you request a certificate, make sure you have:
- your individual/personal licence number (e.g. funeral director licence number)
- the operating name of your business/organization
- the operator licence number issued by the Bereavement Authority of Ontario, which authorizes you to provide funeral/cremation services
- the address and date of birth of the deceased provided on the Statement of Death form (Form 15) or by the family of the deceased
- the name of the coroner who is on-call and available to review your certificate request
- an electronic or scanned copy of the:
- Medical certificate of death
- Medical certificate of stillbirth
- Non-Ontario Death certificate (this is the certificate of death issued by jurisdictions outside of Ontario)
- Warrant to Bury the Body of a Deceased Person
If you need technical assistance requesting a certificate online, please contact ServiceOntario at:
For quick access choose options 5-3-1-0 when prompted
Toll-free TTY: 1-800-268-7095(TTY/Teletypewriter users only – toll-free) TTY: 416-325-3408(TTY/Teletypewriter users only – Toronto)
- Email: ServiceOntarioAccount@ontario.ca
For program-specific inquiries about Cremation and Out-of-Province Body Shipment Certificates, please contact the Office of the Chief Coroner at: