Senior Developer - React/Python/Drupal (Continuous posting)
Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Applications for this role are now closed.
As a Senior Developer in the Ontario Digital Service, you will be presented with the opportunity to support digital transformation of top government priorities. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary, high-impact team that fosters digital transformation within government while using user-centric design strategies and new technology trends. We are looking for people with a proven background and hands-on experience in implementing complex IT solutions. The ideal candidates should have exceptional hands-on experience in all aspects of the software development life cycle.
Virtual open house
Join us for a virtual open house on Monday, March 20th, 1:00 p.m. EST to learn about our work, culture, and how we build products.
This session is optional and will not influence the screening and selection process.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Senior Developer, you will:
- Deliver user-centric solution designs, and implement cost-effective, high-performing, reliable and simple-to-use IT solutions.
- Have a unique opportunity to contribute to the delivery of the top digital government priorities that have a high impact on the lives of the people of Ontario.
- Be part of an agile team that includes a Product Manager, Software Developers, User Experience Researchers, Experience Designers, DevOps and Content Advisors.
- Research new technology trends and develop proofs of concept.
- Provide guidance in solution development and modern web frameworks related to open source technology solutions that ensure our solutions are available anytime, anywhere, and on any device.
- Be a champion for the development and implementation of forward-thinking standards and technologies to support transforming the digital experience for Ontarians interacting with government.
- Provide guidance in problem-solving that involves people, tech, and processes, using logic and common sense.
What you bring to the team
- You possess proven technical skills and expertise, and are not afraid to communicate new ideas to technical and non-technical staff.
- You possess exceptional analytical thinking needed for fast problem resolution of a technical nature.
- You are proactive, take initiative, and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, and empowered work environment.
- You are committed to sustaining the culture of equality, diversity, and inclusion where teams are supported to achieve the best results for everyone to advance and thrive.
How do I qualify?
- You have knowledge of, and hands-on experience with, open source web technologies, service-oriented architectures, and databases.
- You have knowledge of, and hands-on experience with, implementing IT solutions and working with a variety of programming languages like:
- Developer 1: Python web frameworks (e.g. Flask, FastAPI); or
- Developer 3: Modern PHP frameworks (e.g. Drupal, Symfony)
- You have actively contributed to all phases of the software development life cycle (particularly focusing on agile methodologies).
- You have built complex, API-based solutions and transactional systems.
- You have written automated test scripts for unit, integration, end-to-end, cross-browser, device, and accessibility.
- You have knowledge of common authentication technologies, browser-based security controls, and standard web application security tools.
- You have experience with code version control systems (e.g. Git), DevOps practices, cloud delivery/deployment models, virtualization, and container solutions (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes).
- You have advanced knowledge of theory and practices of systems design and development, and can steer the design, development, testing, and implementation of systems solutions.
Architecture and design
- You have an understanding of modern architectural practices for cloud-based solutions.
- You have proven experience applying software engineering best practices and architectural practices to agile product delivery.
- You have experience conducting feasibility studies, reviewing new IT system architecture or re-engineering legacy systems.
- You have some experience heading complex projects and initiatives with high levels of autonomy.
- You have experience providing mentorship, and guiding the work of team members/colleagues.
- You demonstrate a high level of professional judgement, political acuity and interpersonal skills, which inspires trust and confidence.
- You have proven decision-making and prioritization skills needed to support developers on product teams.
- You are well-versed in, and have experience applying to your work, industry best practices that can be adopted by others.
- You have proven communication skills to participate in team discussions, make solution recommendations, and document/explain work.
- You have the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment, to sell your ideas to colleagues, both technical and non-technical.
- You have developed processes to improve the efficiency of teams and taken steps to help others resolve conflict and maintain trusting relationships.
Project and digital expertise
- You have worked on a mature product, balancing the need to address technical debt with new product enhancements through continuous iterations.
- You can define technical approaches to understand the user story, break down the tasks, and guide others in doing so.
- Job title: Senior Developer - React/Python/Drupal (Continuous Posting)
- Job ID: 196049
- Organization: Ministry of Public and Business Service Delivery
- Division: Ontario Digital Service
- Location: Toronto
- Salary: $1,513.21 - $1,954.79 per week*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
- Job term: 5 Temporary - up to 12 months with possible extension
- Hours of work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6)
- Compensation group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)
- Job code: 17160 - Systems Officer 5
Note: The Ontario Digital Service is a remote-friendly organization and encourages productivity and work-life balance. While this position is headquartered at 595 Bay Street in Toronto, we encourage you to apply as flexible work arrangements may be considered.
How to apply
Submit your application by email to ODS.Tech.Talent@ontario.ca by Thursday, August 31, 2023 11:59 p.m. EST and include the following:
- subject line: “Senior Developer - 196049”
- where you saw our job ad
- your cover letter and resume
- When combined, your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6).
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying.
Inclusion and accessibility
We encourage applications from all people, including people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized people, people from diverse ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions. To learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service, we’ve included some links in the Learn more section.
We offer employment accommodation consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
More details about the competition
The deadline to apply is Thursday, August 31, 2023 11:59 p.m. EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.
For more information about the ODS and OPS, please check out the links below: