Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received 48 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
Join The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) to design and deliver the future of government services.
People are at the heart of our mission to ensure that government works for everyone. Be a part of a world-leading public service, and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario, through our work using modern design, data and technology tools and practices.
Help us scale impact across the public sector, tackling some of the most important challenges of our time. We work in multidisciplinary, inclusive, collaborative teams.
As a Senior Developer in the Ontario Digital Service, you will be presented with the opportunity to support digital transformation of top government priorities. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary, high-impact team that foster digital transformation within government while using user-centric design strategies and new technology trends. We are looking for people with a proven background and hands-on experience in implementing complex, IT solutions.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional hands-on experience in all aspects of software development life cycle.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Senior Developer, you will:
- Deliver user-centric solution designs, and implement cost-effective, high-performing, reliable and simple to use IT solutions.
- Have a unique opportunity to contribute in delivery of the top digital government priorities that have a high impact on lives of the people of Ontario.
- Be part of an agile team that includes a Product Manager, Software Developers, User Experience Researchers, Experience Designers, DevOps and Content Advisors.
- Research new technology trends and develop proof of concept.
- Provide guidance in solution development and modern web frameworks related to open source technology solutions that ensure our solutions are available anytime, anywhere and on any device.
- Be a champion for the development and implementation of forward-thinking standards and technologies to support transforming the digital experience for Ontarians interacting with government.
- Provide guidance in problem-solving that involve people, tech, and processes using logic and common sense.
What you bring to the team
- You possess proven technical skills and expertise and are not afraid to communicate new ideas to technical and non-technical staff.
- You possess exceptional analytical thinking needed for fast problem resolution of technical nature.
- You are proactive, take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, empowered work environment.
- You are committed to sustaining the culture of equality, diversity and inclusion where teams are supported to achieve the best results for everyone to advance and thrive.
How do I qualify?
Architecture and design
- You have understanding of modern architectural practices for cloud-based solutions.
- You have proven experience applying software engineering best practices and architectural practices to agile product delivery.
- You have experience conducting feasibility studies, reviewing new IT system architecture or re-engineering legacy systems.
- You have knowledge of and hands-on experience with open source web technologies, mobile development and databases.
- You have actively contributed to all phases of software development life cycle (particularly focusing on agile methodologies).
- You have built complex, API-based solutions and transactional systems.
- You have written automated test scripts for unit, integration, end-to-end, cross-browser, device, and accessibility.
- You have knowledge of common authentication technologies, browser-based security controls, standard web application security tools.
- ou have experience with code version control systems (e.g. Git), DevOps practices, cloud delivery / deployment models, virtualization, and container solutions (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- You have advanced knowledge of theory and practices of systems design and development and steer the design, development, testing and implementation of systems solutions.
- You have some experience heading complex projects and initiatives with high levels of autonomy.
- You have experience providing mentorship, and guiding the work of team members/colleagues.
- You demonstrate a high-level of professional judgement, political acuity and interpersonal skills, which inspires trust and confidence.
- You have proven decision making and prioritization skills needed to support developers on product teams.
- You are well versed in, and have experience applying industry best practices to your work that can be adopted by others.
- You have proven communications skills to participate in team discussions, make solution recommendations, and document/explain work.
- You have the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, to sell your ideas to colleagues, both technical and non-technical.
- You have developed processes to improve the efficiency of teams and taken steps to help others resolve the conflict and maintain trusting relationships.
Project and digital expertise
- You have worked on a mature product balancing the need to address technical debt with new product enhancements through continuous iterations.
- You can define technical approaches to understand the user story, breakdown the tasks and guide others in doing so.
For more information about the ODS, please check out the links below:
- About us
- Jobs at the ODS
- Digital Service Standard
- COVID-19: Digital Rapid Response
- Sign up for digital job alerts
Diversity, inclusion, accessibility and anti-racism
The OPS is an innovative, responsive, and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable. Diversifying leadership teams is a top OPS priority with the goal to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most underrepresented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) in leadership positions.
The OPS invites all interested individuals to apply and encourages applications from Indigenous and racialized individuals, and persons with disabilities.
The OPS is an accessible employer and we offer accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process. Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint to learn more about the OPS commitment to advancing racial equity, diversity and inclusion.
The OPS offers employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
- Job title: Senior Developer
- Job ID: 168399
- Area of government: Ontario Digital Service
- Location: Toronto Region
The Ontario Digital Service is headquartered at 595 Bay Street (at Dundas Street West). In accordance with advice from the Ministry of Health and the Chief Medical Officer of Health, due to COVID-19, alternate work arrangements may be available.
- Salary: $1,483.40 - $1,916.28 per week*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
- Job term: 4 Temporary - duration up to 12 months, with possibility for extension
- Hours of work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6)
- Compensation group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)
- Job code: 17160 - Systems Officer 5
How to apply
- You must apply online
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6)
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We’re accepting submissions until Tuesday, September 21, 2021 11:59 pm EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.