How to apply

To study internationally, you need to apply directly to the college or university you are interested in.

Visit the school’s website for more information.

Transfer credits

Not all internationally earned credentials (degrees, certificates or diplomas) are recognized in Canada and Ontario.

It’s up to you to fully investigate your options before you apply.

You should first contact the admissions department (undergraduate, college or graduate) at the school you want to go to, for more details, before you make a decision.

More information: Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials

Grants, loans and scholarships

Tuition fees for international students are often higher than fees charged to Canadian citizens at Canadian universities and colleges.

If you plan to study abroad, you could still be eligible for a mix of grants and loans through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).

The school you want to attend needs to be approved for student loan purposes in Ontario.

Check to see if a school is approved

Add a school to the OSAP approved list

If the school is located outside of Ontario — but not approved for OSAP — you can ask the government to consider approving the school.

To make a request, you will need to:

  1. download an Institution & Program Approval Application form (PDF)
  2. complete the form, together with a representative from the school
  3. sign and date the form
  4. have an authorized school representative sign and date the form
  5. fax the form to 1-807-343-7278 or mail it to:

Attention: Out-of-Province Institution Approvals
Ontario Student Assistance Program
Ministry of Colleges and Universities
189 Red River Road
4th Floor
PO Box 4500
Thunder Bay ON  P7B 6G9

The process takes about 6-8 weeks to complete, once you submit the paperwork.

Financial aid office: Ontario students abroad

If you attend school abroad and have qualified for OSAP, the Student Financial Assistance Branch of the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities acts as your financial aid office.

You will deal directly with this branch on your student loan.

You can contact the branch, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time) at:

Direct: 807-343-7260
TTY: 1-800-465-3958
Toll-free in North America: 1-877-OSA-P411 (672-7411)
Fax: 1-807-343-7278

Or by mail at:

Student Financial Assistance Branch
Ministry of Colleges and Universities

189 Red River Road
4th Floor
PO Box 4500
Thunder Bay ON  P7B 6G9

More topics: international education

Federal scholarships and bursaries

Canadian Bureau for International Education