How to choose a school

You can learn at a public university or college, or a career college.

Before you choose a school, you can get important information in what’s called a course calendar. This book has details on:

  • programs
  • the qualifications you need to get into a school or particular program
  • housing
  • tuition fees and other costs
  • scholarships and financial aid

You can get a copy of a course calendar through the admissions office at a postsecondary institution. You can also contact the nearest Canadian diplomatic mission for more information.

Learn more about going to college or university in Ontario.


Each college and university sets its own admission standards. The standards can change from year to year. You will need to check a school’s website for the most current information.

When to apply


Application deadlines depend on the program and school. Deadlines start as early as September.


In general, you will need to apply before February 1, if you want to start school in September. The admission process can take up to nine months, so it’s a good idea to get an application in early.

What you need to apply

In most cases, you will need to gather these documents before you apply:


Original or certified copies of your high school diploma/record and any postsecondary education records, including courses you took and grades you achieved.

Proof of language skill

Acceptable test results from a certified language test that measures your skill in reading, writing, understanding and speaking either English or French. Generally accepted tests include:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • The Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment
  • Test d’évaluation de français (TEF)
  • Test de connaissance du français (TCF)

Proof of good health

Depending on your citizenship, you might also need to pass a medical exam. The exam has to be done by an authorized doctor.

If you need an exam, it’s a good idea to make an appointment when you are accepted to an Ontario college or university. Otherwise, it could take up to three months longer to process your application.

Medical exam list: Citizenship and Immigration Canada

List of authorized doctors

A study permit

In most cases, you will need to apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. If you plan to stay six months or more, you need a permit in all cases.

You can apply for a permit at the Canadian visa office in your country. Check with the local office in your area to see what supporting documents you will need.

Find an international visa office

Get a study permit application

Bring a spouse or child/children

If you plan to bring family members with you, you will need to submit additional documents. Contact the nearest international visa office for more information.

How to apply

Undergraduate programs

First check each school’s website. You will either apply directly to the school or use one of two application centres:

Graduate studies

You will apply directly to a university.

Get credentials evaluated

You can have your existing credentials (degrees, diplomas, courses) evaluated at the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials.

Health insurance

Public universities: you need to enrol in the University Health Insurance Plan.

Public colleges and private colleges/universities: you will need to contact the international student office at the school for more information on health insurance for international students.

Work while in school

You don’t always need a work permit to get a job while you are in college or university. 

Work on campus

You can work on campus at a school without a work permit, if you:

Work off campus

If you have a study permit and are enrolled full-time in an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution (DLI), you may work off campus without a work permit.

Note: You must have the appropriate work permit to take part in a co-op or internship program.

Additional information on studying and working in Canada as an international student is available through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, a federal government department.

Scholarships and bursaries

You could be eligible to get money to help you pay for your college or university education in Ontario. You will need to contact the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend.

Ontario Trillium Scholarships

Each year, Ontario awards 75 Trillium Scholarships – worth $40,000 per year – to the best doctoral students from around the world to support their studies in Ontario.

These scholarships can be renewed for up to four years.

Each university selects and awards scholarship candidates based on merit and program criteria. For more information, you can contact a university’s office of graduate studies.

Federal government scholarships

The federal government also offers a series of scholarships for international students.

More information: Scholarships Canada

Student Loans

International students with study permits: you are not eligible for bank or government student loans in Canada.

Plan to apply for landed immigrant status: you could become eligible for loans once status is granted.

Emergency loans: some colleges and universities offer one-time emergency loans for international students. You will need to contact a school’s financial aid office directly for more information.

Work after graduation

You could be eligible to get a special work permit to allow you to work in Canada – for up to three years – after you graduate.

Post-graduate work permit: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Live/work in Ontario permanently

Through a program called the Provincial Nominee Program, you could be eligible to live and work permanently in Ontario.

How the program works

Ontario nominates individuals for permanent resident status to the federal government.

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP)

For other ways to immigrate to Ontario, visit the Government of Canada’s website.