Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received fewer than 10 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
Ontario Digital Service
Join The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) to design and deliver the future of government services.
People are at the heart of our mission to ensure that government works for everyone. Be a part of a world-leading public service and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario through our work using modern design, data and technology tools and practices.
The ODS is redefining the online experience for Ontarians by redesigning the most important government services for the digital age. We own and support a growing number of public-facing internet-era products including web content management, web publishing, online public consultations, open data catalogue and visualization, laws repository, location and mapping, search, API and more.
Help us scale impact across the public sector, tackling some of the most important challenges of our time. We work in multidisciplinary, inclusive, collaborative teams. We've been a distributed team since day one, offering flexible work arrangements, where big ideas and extraordinary people come together to drive change.
Bring your curiosity and build the future with us.
As a Software Developer, you will help make online government services feel simple, seamless and intuitive. You will be on one major projects by researching technology solutions to utilize or coding interactive and functional prototypes to help validate digital product ideas. You will contribute to building a culture of open communication and participatory methods to share, critique, and improve not only our work, but our way of working. Most of all, you will inspire your colleagues across the government to improve the experience for the people of Ontario.
Our co-op students are those who have the digital skills, mindset, and enthusiasm to support Ontario's Digital Government transformation. During your placement, you will have one-on-one mentorship from the lead who will provide advice and continuous guidance throughout your term. Freedom in the workplace is a crucial part of how we conduct our day-to-day tasks.
As a tech co-op you will be directly involved in developing new, forward-looking digital products for Ontario. On any given day you may:
- design, build, and support digital products
- be part of a multi-disciplinary team that drive digital transformation
- explore new technology trends and learn new technologies
- experiment, and collaborate with other colleagues
- co-create solutions for complex public service problems
Join us and help make government work better for people by delivering simple and straightforward digital services and products. We provide employees with constructive feedback to foster their career growth, and opportunities to collaborate with talented people. We are not your typical government job.
What you bring to the team
- You think digital by default and embrace new ideas that put users first to find the best solutions.
- You believe diversity and inclusion help create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results, knowing the best ideas come from everywhere and everyone.
- You work in a team, but can execute tasks independently
- You anticipate issues and proactively address them
- You take initiative and step up to support the team; no task is too big or small!
- You enjoy working in an agile work environment
Requirements of the job
- You must be enrolled in a co-operative education program approved by a college or university.
- You must be eligible to work in Canada.
- You must be available to work from a location within the province of Ontario
- You have experience working with third-party APIs
- You have worked with Git
- You have knowledge of front-end frameworks such as React, or Vue
- You have experience in a full-stack environment including the design and setup of databases
- You have knowledge of accessibility standards
Subject matter expertise
- You have some knowledge of - or an interest in - how agile digital approaches and technologies can be applied to the design, development and implementation of new forward-looking digital products.
- You have an interest in learning about - how technology can contribute to the design and delivery of responsive people-centred digital products.
Collaboration and partnerships
- You can work as a part of a multidisciplinary team, requiring strong communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills to balance and mitigate tensions and competing interests across a broad range of internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- You work in the open: sharing information, ideas, solutions and encouraging discussion.
- You work as part of a team but can execute tasks thoroughly and independently.
- You take initiative and step up to support the team; no task is too big or small.
Why join the team
The tech team at the ODS is an enthusiastic, supportive and collaborative group of individuals making government work better for people by delivering simple, effective and straightforward digital services and products and having fun while doing it.
- work that makes an impact
- learning and development opportunities
- open and inclusive work environment
- flexible work arrangements
More about ODS
Check out our ODS blog to learn more about how we work.
- Job title: Co-op Student
- Area of government: Ontario Digital Service
- Location: Toronto, Ontario (currently remote)
- Salary: $777.42 - $1,036.56 weekly, depending on work term
- Job term: Temporary, generally four months
- Hours of work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6)
How to apply
If you’re interested, submit your application by email to ODS.TechManagers@ontario.ca – put “Hire me - Tech co-op” as the subject line.
We’re accepting submissions until Friday, June 17, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. EDT.
All applications will be kept on file and considered for future roles. If you do not want us to keep you on file, please let us know in your application email. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Inclusion and accessibility
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know via email at ODS.TechManagers@ontario.ca.