If you have children under 18 years old, you may be eligible for the Transition Child Benefit if:

  • you are not receiving the Ontario Child Benefit or the Canada Child Benefit (CCB)
  • you are receiving less than the maximum amount of the Ontario Child Benefit for any of your children, or
  • you are waiting for your monthly Ontario Child Benefit payment to start

The amount you get depends on how much money you get from the Ontario Child Benefit and the Canada Child Benefit.

Your caseworker can explain how we calculate the Transition Child Benefit.

How to get the Transition Child Benefit

You do not need to apply for the Transition Child Benefit. If you are eligible, it is added to your monthly payment.

Your caseworker will decide if you are eligible based on the information you provide about changes to your circumstances (for example, if you have a newborn child).

To get the Transition Child Benefit, you must also be trying, or have tried, to get the Ontario Child Benefit first. Your worker may ask you to show what steps you have taken to do this.

Waiting for the Ontario Child Benefit

If you are waiting for your monthly Ontario Child Benefit payments to start, you can receive the Transition Child Benefit while you wait.

When you receive the Ontario Child Benefit

You may receive a lump-sum Ontario Child Benefit and Canada Child Benefit (CCB) payment to cover the months you waited. If you already received the Transition Child Benefit for the same period of time, your next payment from Ontario Works or ODSP will be reduced so that you don't get the same amount twice.

Your worker can explain how this may affect you.