W12A landfill expansion project
Learn about the environmental assessment process for a proposed increase to the disposal capacity and service area of the City of London’s W12A landfill.
On this page Skip this page navigation
You can comment on the environmental assessment for this project until 5:00 p.m. on March 25, 2022.
The City of London is proposing to expand its W12A landfill, which has an existing approved capacity of 12.5 million cubic metres. The proposed expansion would add approximately 13.8 million cubic metres of waste disposal capacity.
The City of London is also proposing to extend the landfill’s service area. The new regional service area would include:
- City of London
- County of Huron
- County of Perth
- County of Elgin
- County of Lambton
- County of Middlesex
City of London
City of London
Devon Wills, Environmental Assessment Branch
Environmental assessment: submitted
Date submitted: February 4, 2022
Expiry of public comment period: March 25, 2022
Terms of reference: approved
Date submitted: October 12, 2018
Expiry of public comment period: November 12, 2018
Decision date: July 30, 2019
The City of London has submitted its final environmental assessment for the W12A landfill expansion project to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks for review. This assessment looks at how the landfill expansion could impact the environment.
Submit a comment
Members of the public, agencies, Indigenous communities and other interested persons are encouraged to actively participate in the environmental assessment process.
Read the notice of submission to learn how to review the environmental assessment and submit your comments.
The commenting period closes at 5:00 p.m. on March 25, 2022.
Terms of reference
Notice of approval
Environmental Assessment Act subsection 6(4) approval of terms of reference for the preparation of an environmental assessment.
Proponent: The City of London
Terms of reference: W12A landfill expansion environmental assessment
Environmental assessment file number: 18016
As provided for by subsection 6(4) of the Environmental Assessment Act, terms of reference, as submitted for approval to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks on October 12, 2018 and revised with through the submission of an amended terms of reference dated February 7, 2019 is hereby approved.
Pursuant to subsection 6.1(1) of the Environmental Assessment Act, any environmental assessment for the above-noted undertaking, submitted to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks pursuant to subsection 6.2(1) of the Environmental Assessment Act, must be prepared in accordance with the amended terms of reference as hereby approved.
I am satisfied that an environmental assessment prepared in accordance with the amended terms of reference will be consistent with the purpose of the Environmental Assessment Act and the public interest for the following reasons:
- The terms of reference provides that the environmental assessment will include an identification and evaluation of a reasonable range of alternative methods and that these alternative methods will be assessed during the environmental assessment process.
- The terms of reference requires the proponent to implement a comprehensive consultation plan during the preparation of the environmental assessment. In addition, the Environmental Assessment Act requires consultation and documentation of the consultation during the preparation of the environmental assessment. As well, there will be additional opportunities for public and government agency consultation when the environmental assessment is submitted to the ministry.
- The terms of reference provides that the environmental assessment will be prepared using a comprehensive public, Indigenous community and government agency consultation process that is open and transparent and in particular will include consultation on the selection and evaluation of alternative methods during the environmental assessment.
- The terms of reference requires that the proponent meet the intent of the Environmental Assessment Act by providing for the identification of issues and concerns, and the preferred means of addressing them with due regard to adoption of environmental management, protection and mitigation measures.
- There are no outstanding issues that have not been incorporated into the terms of reference or that cannot be addressed during the preparation of the environmental assessment.
Dated the 30th day of July, 2019 at Toronto.
Original signed by:
Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
77 Wellesley Street West, 11th Floor, Ferguson Block