Get an accessible parking permit

Wheelchair Parking Only signHow to get an accessible parking permit. Vehicles used by people with disabilities need to display the permit to park in an accessible parking space.

Only people with certain health conditions can apply for an accessible parking permit. Read the eligibility requirements below before you apply.

You can get an application form at any ServiceOntario centre, download a PDF version of the form, or complete and print the online request form.

There are 2 parts to the application form when you apply for an accessible parking permit:

  • Part A to be completed by you
  • Part B to be completed by your healthcare practitioner

You can submit the completed and signed form to a ServiceOntario centre in-person or by mail to:

P.O. Box 9800
Kingston ON  K7L 5N8

Find the nearest ServiceOntario centre




3 weeks by mail

Interim permit

While you are waiting for your permit to arrive in the mail, you can get an interim accessible parking permit valid for 90 days at a ServiceOntario centre.


Permit holder rules

You can use an accessible parking permit in any vehicle you will be travelling in, even if you do not own a car or have a driver’s licence.

Always display your permit on the dashboard or sun visor of the car so the permit number and expiry date is clearly visible.

Only the person whose name is on the permit can use it to park in an accessible parking space. The permit must be returned to a ServiceOntario centre when the person named on the permit is deceased, a permit is no longer required, or if a lost permit is found. If another person uses the permit, it can result in fines of up to $5,000 and the permit being seized.


To get an accessible parking permit, your healthcare practitioner must certify that you have one or more of the following health conditions:

  • cannot walk without help from another person, brace, cane, crutch, a lower limb prosthetic device or similar assistive device
  • need to use a wheelchair
  • forced expiratory volume is less than 1 litre per second
  • portable oxygen is a medical necessity
  • cardiovascular disease impairment classified as class 3 or 4 according to the Canadian cardiovascular standard or American Heart Association
  • severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, musculoskeletal or orthopaedic condition
  • vision is 20/2000 or poorer in the better eye with corrective lenses
  • the greatest diameter of the field of vision in both eyes is 20 degrees or less
  • a condition or functional impairment that severely limits your mobility

There is no age limit to apply for an accessible parking permit.

Healthcare practitioners

When you apply, your condition can only be certified by a:

  • physician
  • chiropractor
  • registered nurse practitioner (extended class)
  • physiotherapist
  • occupational therapist
  • chiropodist or
  • podiatrist

They will indicate on your application whether you have a permanent, temporary condition or subject-to-change disability.

Types of permits

If you have a permanent disability: you can get a permanent permit (blue). It is valid for 5 years and can be renewed without re-certification from a health practitioner.

If you have a disability that is considered subject to change: you can get a subject-to-change permit (orange). It is valid for 5 years. To renew this permit you are required to be re-certified by a health practitioner.

If you have a short-term disability (lasting between 2 months to 1 year): you can get a temporary permit (red). This permit is not renewable.

If you are travelling outside Ontario: you can get a traveller’s permit (purple) to park your car in an Ontario airport for up to 1 year while you use your regular permit during your trip.

If you are a company or non-profit organization: you can get a company permit (green) for every vehicle of your company or non-profit organization that is used mainly to transport people with disabilities. It is valid for 5 years and can be renewed.

Get a motorcycle decal


You can only get an accessible parking permit motorcycle decal if you:

  • hold a valid permanent or subject to change accessible parking permit
  • hold a valid motorcycle driver’s licence (class M or M2)
  • are the registered owner of a valid licence plate attached to a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle

You must keep your accessible parking permit with you, even if the decal is displayed on your motorcycle when parking in an accessible parking space.

How to apply

To get a motorcycle decal, you need to send a written request to ServiceOntario.

In your letter, state that you are applying for a new accessible parking motorcycle decal and include:

  • your full legal name
  • your current permanent or subject-to-change accessible parking permit number
  • your driver’s licence number (must be class M or M2)
  • the licence plate number of each motorcycle registered in your name that the decal will be attached to

Send in your signed request to:

P.O. Box 9800
Kingston ON  K7L 5N8

Travelling with permit (outside Ontario)

If you want to use your accessible parking permit outside of Ontario, you should contact the authorities in the location(s) you are travelling to and you must follow the rules and regulations in the location(s) you are travelling in.

Visitors to Ontario

Travelling with permit

If you have your own accessible parking permit from outside Ontario, you don’t need to apply for a visitor’s accessible parking permit.

You can use your own accessible parking permit, licence plates, markers or devices that show the international symbol that allows a person with a disability to park in accessible parking spaces in Ontario.

Travelling with no permit

If you don’t have your accessible parking permit from outside Ontario, you can get a visitor’s accessible parking permit at a ServiceOntario centre.

You will need to bring:

  • proof that you were issued a valid permit in your home province, state or county
  • a government-issued identification that shows your date of birth
  • a document that confirms your disability such as:
    • application for accessible parking permit completed by a recognized health practitioner
    • an out-of-province hospital card
    • certificate or letter from your health practitioner
    • medical insurance document
    • other medical document

Find the nearest ServiceOntario centre

How to

Updated: March 2, 2015