We're moving content over from an older government website. We'll align this page with the ontario.ca style guide in future updates.
Understanding Your Property Tax Bill and the Services Supported
Sample Property Tax Bill for Unincorporated Area
For an accessible description of this image click here.
1. Provinicial Land Tax (PLT)
- Social Assistance
- Child Care
- Land Ambulance
- Social Housing
- Public Health
All unincorporated area taxpayers
PLT = PLT Rate × Assessment
- Rates are set by the Province.
- PLT contributes a small portion toward the cost of these services. The Province contributes the rest.
* Includes PLT administration and assessment, planning boards, waste disposal sites and fire suppression on Crown Land, Crown Land management, and Provincial contribution to LRBs and LSBs.
2. Education Tax
- Elementary and Secondary Education
All Ontario property owners EXCEPT those with unincorporated area properties located outside schoolboard areas.
Education Tax =
Education Tax Rate × Assessment
- The Province sets a single residential rate across Ontario.
Local Board Taxes and Levies
3. Local Roads Board Tax
- Road Maintenance and Repair
Taxpayers in Local Roads Boards (LRB)
LRB Tax = LRB Rate × Assessment
- Rates are set by the LRB to raise 1/3 of the costs. The Province provides 2/3 of the costs.
4. Local Services Board Levy
Helps Support any or all of the following:
- Water Supply
- Fire Protection
- Garbage Collection
- Street or Area Lighting
- Public Library Service
- Emergency Telecommunications
Taxpayers in Local Services Boards (LSB)
- A fee or a tax is charged by each LSB to cover the cost of the services it provides.
- Costs may also be partially covered through fundraising and Provincial grants.
Accessible image description:
A sample property tax bill for unincorporated areas is provided to illustrate the provincial taxes and local board taxes and levies that would appear on a typical bill.