Learn about the new Ontario Child Care Tax Credit and the Low-Income Workers Tax Credit.
Find out more about the tax-free payment that helps pay for energy costs, sales and property tax.
The 2022 Ontario Economic Outlook and Fiscal Review provides a progress update on Ontario’s economic and fiscal outlook amidst global economic uncertainty. The government has released its first progress report on Ontario’s Plan to Build, as well as enhanced the plan with new initiatives to build Ontario’s economy, help families and businesses keep costs down and address the province’s labour shortage.
Find out about Ontario benefit programs you may be eligible for.
Find out how much money you could get if you file a tax return this year and calculate your tax credits.
What we do
- Support provincial fiscal, taxation and economic policy and support intergovernmental fiscal relations.
- Manage the fiscal and financial affairs of the province, including the provincial budget, quarterly and mid-year updates (Fall Economic Statement) and work with Treasury Board Secretariat to prepare consolidated financial statements (public accounts).
- Oversee more than $150 billion in revenue to support investments in education, health care, transportation, infrastructure and skills.
- Support people and businesses by providing a number of tax credit, incentive and benefit programs.
- Encourage compliance with the province’s tax system through education and outreach and conducting enforcement activities like audits, inspections, investigations and forensic accounting.
- Regulate the financial sector, including insurance, pension plan and mortgage providers.
- Facilitate government interactions with the Financial Accountability Officer.
Agencies, boards and commissions
The ministry is affiliated with the following independent agencies:
The ministry administers the following legislation:
- Alcohol, Cannabis and Gaming Regulation and Public Protection Act, 1996 (Part II only)
- Assessment Act
- Automobile Insurance Rate Stabilization Act, 2003
- Benefits Administration Integration Act, 2016
- Canadian Public Accountability Board Act (Ontario), 2006
- Cannabis Licence Act, 2018 (specific provisions only)
- Capital Investment Plan Act, 1993 (Parts I and II only)
- Commodity Futures Act
- Community Small Business Investment Funds Act, 1992 (specific provisions only)
- Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act
- Co-operative Corporations Act (specific provisions only)
- Corporations Tax Act
- Credit Unions and Caisses Populaires Act, 1994
- Education Act (specific provisions only)
- Electricity Act, 1998 (Parts V.1 and VI only)
- Employer Health Tax Act
- Estates Administration Tax Act, 1998
- Financial Accountability Officer Act, 2013
- Financial Administration Act (specific portions only)
- Financial Services Commission of Ontario Act, 1997
- Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario Act, 2016
- Financial Services Tribunal Act, 2017
- Fiscal Transparency and Accountability Act, 2004
- Fuel Tax Act
- Gasoline Tax Act
- Highway Traffic Act (specific provisions only)
- Income Tax Act
- Insurance Act
- Investing in Ontario Act, 2008
- Investment Management Corporation of Ontario Act, 2015
- Land Transfer Tax Act
- Liquor Control Act
- Loan and Trust Corporations Act
- Mining Tax Act
- Ministry of Revenue Act
- Mortgage Brokerages, Lenders and Administrators Act, 2006
- MPPs Pension Act, 1996
- Municipal Property Assessment Corporation Act, 1997
- Ontario Cannabis Retail Corporation Act, 2017
- Ontario Guaranteed Annual Income Act
- Ontario Loan Act
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation Act, 1999
- Ontario Retirement Pension Plan Legislation Repeal Act, 2016
- Pension Benefits Act
- Pooled Registered Pension Plans Act, 2015
- Prepaid Hospital and Medical Services Act
- Province of Ontario Savings Office Act
- Province of Ontario Savings Office Privatization Act, 2002
- Provincial Land Tax Act, 2006
- Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act (specific provisions only)
- Race Tracks Tax Act
- Registered Insurance Brokers Act
- Retail Sales Tax Act
- Revenue Integrity Act, 2018
- Securities Act
- Social Contract Act, 1993
- Statistics Act
- Tax Incentive Zones Act (Pilot Projects), 2002
- Tax Increment Financing Act, 2006
- Taxation Act, 2007
- Taxpayer Protection Act, 1999
- Tobacco Tax Act
- Toronto Stock Exchange Act
- Trust Beneficiaries’ Liability Act, 2004