Foodland Ontario is a consumer-facing promotion program of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. It was established in 1977, and since then, has partnered with producers, processors, retailers and the foodservice sector to champion, promote and support the consumption of Ontario food products.
Buying and supporting Ontario food creates jobs and economic growth in communities across the province.
Benefits to using the Foodland Ontario Logo
Almost 90 per cent of Ontarians recognize the Foodland Ontario logo. Using the Foodland Ontario logo is the best way to help consumers identify Ontario food.
Foodland Ontario has a set of Ontario food definitions that have been developed in conjunction with industry, such as commodity associations, and tested with consumers. The definitions are credible and widely accepted as a proven way to help define local food as being from Ontario.
With a logo agreement, the Foodland Ontario logo, print and merchandising resources can be used at no cost by producers, processors, distributors, foodservice operators and public sector institutions across the province.
Examples of how to Utilize the Foodland Ontario Logo
- Conducting a Food Origin Audit. Use Foodland Ontario’s set of Ontario food definitions to set a clear definition of local food, so those businesses contacted during the audit process will understand if their products are considered local.
- Measuring Performance and Setting Goals. Use Foodland Ontario’s set of Ontario food definitions to set a clear definition of local food to determine a baseline measurement of local food for your institution. Once a baseline is established, it can be used to set realistic targets or goals for local food procurement.
- Marketing and Promotion. Use the Foodland Ontario logo to highlight local food ingredients on menu boards or on marketing materials, such as a poster highlighting an Ontario grower, to demonstrate how your institution is supporting Ontario businesses that supply local food.
- Tracking. Use the Foodland Ontario logo as a symbol to highlight Ontario products on sell-sheets, so institutions can understand what products are local when making procurement decisions.
How to obtain the Foodland Ontario Logo
As a distributor, foodservice operator or public sector institution, you are eligible to use the Foodland Ontario logo by meeting the following criteria:
Fill out the online form. Please provide as much information as possible and be sure to address the following criteria:
- Identify how you intend to use the Foodland logo, such as on your menu, in digital advertising or on marketing materials. Briefly address how you will assure that the logo is only used on Ontario products.
- Demonstrate that you source from vendors who meet the approved consumer and industry approved definitions of Ontario food products.
If you meet the above criteria, you will be sent a logo agreement to complete and return. Once processed and approved by Foodland Ontario, you will be sent a copy of the Foodland Ontario logo to use as you have identified during the application process. This step may take up to 10 business days.
Once you receive approval, it is your responsibility to ensure that your use of the logo continues to meet the Foodland Ontario program’s criteria.
For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free: 1-877-424-1300