Serve this low-fat, nutrient-rich salsa with grilled fish, pork steaks, chicken or burgers. Or as an appetizer or snack with corn tortilla cups (scoops) and watch it all disappear.
- 3 ripe Ontario Peaches
- Half Ontario Sweet Red Pepper, diced
- 4 Ontario Green Onions, sliced
- 1 to 2 small Ontario Hot Peppers, diced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated fresh gingerroot
- Salt and pepper
To make peeling easier, blanch peaches in boiling water 30 to 60 seconds, then transfer to cold water for 1 minute. Peel, pit and dice peaches.
In bowl, combine peaches, red pepper, green onions, hot peppers, parsley, lime juice, oil, garlic and ginger. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Serve cool or at room temperature rather than ice cold.
1 Serving (2 tbsp/25 mL):
- Protein: trace
- Fat: 1 gram
- Carbohydrates: 1.5 grams
- Calories: 16