Building with wood
Information and resources for your mass timber, tall wood or wood bridge construction project.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Mass timber are large engineered wood products that include wood panels, beams and columns used for constructing floors, walls and roofs in larger buildings.
Pre-fabricated paneling systems that make a wider range of wood buildings possible include:
- cross laminated timber (CLT)
- parallel strand lumber (PSL)
- laminated veneer lumber (LVL)
- laminated strand lumber (LSL)
- glued laminated timber (glulam)
Building with these wood systems is efficient and results in high-quality construction.
There are multiple wood construction programs and resources to help you with your wood construction project. This includes funding for eligible projects and program guides to support compliance, innovation and industry best practices.
Benefits of building with wood
The benefits of building with wood include:
- being proven fire safe for builders, occupants, and fire service officials
- being structurally comparable to concrete and steel buildings in strength
- storing carbon to less the impact of climate change
- lower greenhouse gas emissions from construction by not using energy-intensive materials
- lower buildings costs with cheaper materials and quicker construction time
- providing safe and reliable flexibility under seismic loading (earthquake impacts)
- efficient and effective solution for our increasing housing needs.
- supporting our sustainable forest management policies
Ontario’s Tall Wood Building Reference
Working with our partners, we’ve created a resource providing background and references to assist applicants, reviewers and designers as they consider using wood in buildings. The document is the first of its kind and provides guidance for meeting requirements under Alternative Solutions of the Ontario Building Code for developing wood buildings above six storeys.
The Tall Wood Building Reference aligns with our two primary objectives related to the Ontario Building Code:
- help increase opportunities for designers and builders to create innovative, flexible and affordable new buildings
- maintain our high fire safety standards for both the public and fire service personnel
We are committed to providing accessible customer service. If you need accessible formats or communications supports, please contact us.