On this page Skip this page navigation
Invasive species are spreading
Hundreds of invasive species have infiltrated our lakes, rivers and forests. This puts our native fish, plants and animals and their habitats at risk.
After an invasive species arrives it is almost impossible to remove it. This can cause irreparable damage to important habitats and ecosystems.
How we manage invasive species in Ontario
Ontario Invasive Species Strategic Plan
In 2012, we developed the Ontario Invasive Species Strategic Plan to:
- prevent new invaders from arriving and surviving in the province
- slow, reverse and reduce the spread and harmful impacts of invasive species
The Ontario Invasive Species Strategic Plan: Review of Progress (2012-2022) highlights the milestones and significant achievements of the government and our partners to address the threat of invasive species.
Invasive Species Act
We have regulated invasive species that pose a risk to Ontario’s natural environment under the Invasive Species Act. The act sets out rules to prevent their introduction and control their spread. There are also federal invasive species rules that are enforced in the province.
As of January 1, 2022, 13 new invasive species and watercrafts as carriers are regulated under the Invasive Species Act to help to prevent the introduction and spread within our province. These new invasive species include terrestrial and aquatic plants, fishes, aquatic invertebrates, insects and a mammal.
Ways you can help stop invasive species
Invasive species action plans
On the water, in the garden, at the cottage or on a trail, you can help stop the spread of invasive species.
Read our action plans to find out how.
If you come across an invasive species, report it:
- by phone: contact the toll free Invading Species Hotline at
- online: visit EDD Maps, or visit the Invasive Species in Ontario project to report a sighting
- on your mobile: download the EDDMapS Ontario app on your mobile phone (iOS or Android)
To help identify, manage or control invasive species, contact the:
- Invading Species Awareness Program
- Invasive Species Centre
- Ontario Invasive Plant Council
- Federation of Ontario Cottagers' Association
- Invasive species in Ontario
- Invasive Species Strategic Plan
- Full list of tracked species
- Managing invasive species in Ontario