The K–12 school effectiveness framework: a support for school improvement and student success
This document identifies evidence-based indicators of successful practices in schools. These indicators help educators build coherent and aligned practices across an entire school.
On this page Skip this page navigation
The K-12 school effectiveness framework is based on research and practical evidence about what makes schools effective. It identifies the following components that impact student achievement:
- assessment of student learning
- school and classroom leadership
- student engagement
- curriculum, teaching and learning
- pathways, planning and programming
- home, school and community partnerships
The framework provides indicators of effective instructional practice as well as samples of evidence to help boards and schools in:
- precise, intentional and strategic improvement planning
- strategic allocation of resources
- determining capacity-building needs
The framework is designed with two key processes in mind:
- The school self-assessment process to help identify strategies for improvement and inform implementation of the School Improvement Plan. The School Self-Assessment considers the following questions:
- Are we reaching our student learning and achievement goals?
- How do we know? What is the quantitative and qualitative evidence that supports this?
- What actions will we take to ensure continuous improvement?
- The district process is to promote reflection, collaborative inquiry and improved student learning. The steps in the district process include:
- review of data and progress from the school self-assessment
- collection, data analysis and preparation of summary report with recommendations
- support for school planning and implementation of improvement strategies
- capacity building for the professional learning community
If you require this information in an alternative format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will:
- acknowledge your request within 3 business days
- provide you with the content within 15 business days
Updated: April 29, 2022
Published: April 29, 2022