We're helping to grow the economy and create good jobs. Find the resources you need to do business, work and invest in Ontario.
- Get support, information and advice to run your small business
- Small Business Enterprise Centre locations
- Automotive Sector Plan
Information about incoming buyers missions, exporter education seminars and workshops for Ontario businesses looking to export outside Canada.
What we do
- Support job creation, innovation and economic growth for all Ontarians.
- Deliver a range of programs, services and tools to help businesses innovate and compete in today’s fast-changing global economy.
- Help make investing in Ontario more attractive for businesses, while protecting the public interest.
- Support the growth of small and medium-sized businesses so they can connect with new export markets and customers.
- Manage a network of international trade and investment offices in key markets around the world.
- Organize international business missions to increase export and investment opportunities for Ontario’s companies.
- Ensure Ontario’s interests are well-represented in all trade matters and negotiations (including CUSMA, CPTPP and CETA) and drive strategic investment and trade analysis.
- Drive internal trade by working bilaterally with other provinces and territories and by implementing the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA).
- Develop and implement marketing strategies and tactics that favourably position the province’s key economic strengths and promote Ontario as the best place to invest, work, live and succeed.
- Develop strategies for priority industries and sectors in Ontario.
- Build strategic partnerships with leading companies and stakeholders within Ontario’s economy.
- Foster scientific discovery and commercialization of new technologies and products that can be marketed to the world.
- Harness Ontario’s talented workforce, entrepreneurial spirit and highly developed industry clusters.
Agencies, boards and commissions
The ministry is affiliated with the following independent agencies:
The ministry administers the following legislation:
- Ministry of Economic Development and Trade Act, 1990
- Development Corporations Act, 1990
- Modernizing Ontario for People and Businesses Act, 2020
- Attracting Investment and Creating Jobs Act, 2012
- Water Opportunities Act, 2010
- Supporting Local Restaurants Act, 2020
- Invest Ontario Act, 2021
- Convenience Store Week Act, 2021
- Innovation Centre Governance Act, 2020
- Ontario Capital Growth Corporation Act, 2008
- Community Small Business Investment Funds Act, 1992