North Dundas waste management plan
Learn about the environmental assessment process for a plan to manage waste disposal in the Township of North Dundas over a 25-year period.
On this page Skip this page navigation
The ministry review of the North Dundas waste management plan environmental assessment is available for a 5-week comment period from October 20, 2023 to November 24, 2023.
You can submit comments until 5 p.m. on November 24, 2023.
The Township of North Dundas is developing a plan for the disposal of approximately 417,700 cubic metres of waste over a 25-year period, from 2023 to 2048. The waste will include:
- residential, non-hazardous waste
- industrial, commercial and institutional waste
Township of North Dundas
Township of North Dundas in the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, approximately 40 kilometres southwest of Ottawa.
Environmental assessment: submitted
Date submitted: January 23, 2023
Expiry of public comment period for ministry review: November 24, 2023
Terms of reference: approved
Date submitted: August 2, 2019
Expiry of public comment period: September 4, 2019
Decision date: July 1, 2020
The Township of North Dundas has submitted its final environmental assessment for the Township of North Dundas Waste Management Plan project to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks for review. This assessment evaluated long-term solid waste management options and has identified increased diversion and expansion of the existing Boyne Road Landfill as the preferred alternative.
An invitation to comment on the environmental assessment was posted on this webpage on January 23, 2023. Comments were accepted until March 24, 2023.
Notice of completion of ministry review
The ministry has prepared a review of the environmental assessment for Indigenous community, public and agency comment.
The review of the environmental assessment is not the decision about the undertaking. That decision is made by the Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks after:
- the comment period is over
- the minister considers all submissions
The minister’s decision is subject to the approval of the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
Submit a comment
You can submit comments on the:
- environmental assessment
- ministry review
You may also request a hearing by the Ontario Land Tribunal. If you request a hearing, you must state in your submission whether you are requesting a hearing on the whole application or only on specified matters related to the application.
To have your comments or request for a hearing considered by the minister, we must receive your written comments by 5 p.m. on November 24, 2023.
Send your written comments by email to:
Environmental Assessment Branch
Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
Attention: Jordan Hughes, Project Officer
If you make a submission or request a hearing before 5 p.m. on November 24th, you will be notified of any decisions about this environmental assessment. Otherwise, the undertaking may proceed without further notice to you.
If no submissions or requests for a hearing are received, the undertaking may be approved with no further public notice. This will allow the undertaking to proceed.
Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Environmental Assessment Act, unless otherwise stated in the submission, any personal information such as name, address, telephone number and property location included in all submissions become part of the public record files for this matter and can be released, if requested, to any person.
Terms of reference
On July 1, 2020, the Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks approved the terms of reference for this project.
The terms of reference identifies the waste management alternatives that will be assessed during the preparation of an environmental assessment.
Notice of approval
Environmental Assessment Act subsection 6(4) approval of terms of reference for the preparation of an environmental assessment.
Proponent: Township of North Dundas
Terms of reference: Waste management plan environmental assessment
Environmental assessment file number: 18056
As provided for by subsection 6(4) of the Environmental Assessment Act, terms of reference, as submitted for approval to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks on August 2, 2019, is hereby approved.
Pursuant to subsection 6.1(1) of the Environmental Assessment Act, any environmental assessment for the above-noted undertaking, submitted to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks pursuant to subsection 6.2(1) of the Environmental Assessment Act, must be prepared in accordance with the terms of reference as hereby approved.
I am satisfied that an environmental assessment prepared in accordance with the terms of reference will be consistent with the purpose of the Environmental Assessment Act and the public interest for the following reasons:
- The terms of reference provides that the environmental assessment will include an identification and evaluation of a reasonable range of alternative methods and that these alternative methods will be assessed during the environmental assessment process.
- The terms of reference requires the proponent to implement a comprehensive consultation plan during the preparation of the environmental assessment. In addition, the Environmental Assessment Act requires consultation and documentation of the consultation during the preparation of the environmental assessment. As well, there will be additional opportunities for public, government agency and Indigenous community consultation when the environmental assessment is submitted to the ministry.
- The terms of reference provides that the environmental assessment will be prepared using a comprehensive public, Indigenous community and government agency consultation process that is open and transparent and in particular will include consultation on the selection and evaluation of alternative methods during the environmental assessment.
- The terms of reference requires that the proponent meet the intent of the Environmental Assessment Act by providing for the identification of issues and concerns, and the preferred means of addressing them with due regard to adoption of environmental management, protection and mitigation measures.
- There are no outstanding issues that have not been incorporated into the terms of reference or that cannot be addressed during the preparation of the environmental assessment.
Dated the 1st day of July, 2020 at Toronto.
Original signed by:
Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
777 Bay Street, College Park, 5th floor