Service design resources
A categorized list of the Service Design Guild executive team’s favourite resources.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Service design in government:
Comprehensive guides and tools
Get started by reading the Ontario Digital Service’s Service Design Playbook.
Other great resources:
- Read The Service Design Playbook (PDF) by British Columbia’s Government Communication and Public Engagement team.
- From 18F (the US government’s digital service experts) – A collection of tools and information to help other organizations adopt human-centered design.
- Public Design Vault – “500+ design tools for public good, all in one place.”
- From the New York City government – Civic Service Design Tools + Tactics – designed to “provide specific, tangible tools of the trade, tailored to complement and support the expertise of the people who develop and deliver New York City government programs.”
- Our user research guide has a ton of practical information including:
- building the case for user research
- recruiting strategies
- building prototypes
- researching techniques
- turning research into actionable insights
- Read the Measuring success section of the Ontario Government’s digital plan.
- Read the British Columbia government’s guide to service analysis and outline for holding a metrics workshop.
Getting buy-in from leadership
Some tools and ideas to help you build support from your leadership:
- send leaders ODS’s blog post on leading in a digital age to get them ready for a conversation about service design
- direct leaders to the Ontario Government’s digital plan to get them up-to-date on our strategy to simpler, faster, better government services
- invite someone from the Ontario Digital Service or the Service Design Guild to speak at an upcoming branch, division or ministry event
Training and other resources
- Check out these method guides from Gamestorming
- Take an online course from Ideo or Practical Service Design
- Contact the Service Design Guild about coaching opportunities
Read case studies from:
Reading and watching
- Recommended reading from Service Design Books
- Inspirational and informative videos from the global Service Design Network
Support in the Ontario Public Service
Lots of support is available right here in the OPS. Reach out to:
- members of the Service Design Guild
- Ontario Digital Service
- research labs in Toronto and Kitchener
- policy Innovation Hub
Suggest a resource
If you know of a great service design resource that you think should be added to this page, please email the Service Design Guild executive team.