Transfer ownership of a vehicle to a family member
Find out which family members qualify and what documents are required to transfer ownership of a vehicle.
On this page Skip this page navigation
In Ontario you may be allowed to transfer ownership of your vehicle to a family member without paying the retail sales tax. This can be done at a ServiceOntario centre.
Who is eligible
You can transfer ownership of your vehicle to the following family members without requiring them to pay the retail sales tax (RST):
- spouse (including a common law spouse)
- parent or step-parent
- grandparent or step-grandparent
- son or step-son
- daughter or step-daughter
- grandson or step-grandson
- granddaughter or step-granddaughter
- half siblings (siblings with a common parent)
- adopted siblings (siblings with a common parent through adoption)
What documents are required
You will need to bring the following documents to a ServiceOntario centre:
- a completed Sworn Statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form
- proof of Ontario vehicle insurance
- your Ontario driver’s licence
- Safety Standards Certificate (this is not required for spouse-to-spouse transfers, but you must complete a spousal declaration)
- Vehicle Ownership Permit with the completed portion on the back
- a completed plate transfer declaration if you are also transferring the licence plate (only permitted between spouses, parents and children)
Only one exempt transfer of the same vehicle, between family members, is allowed within a 12-month period.
Find a ServiceOntario centre.
Tax exemptions on a vehicle transferred from a spouse or former spouse
If the vehicle acquired from a spouse or former spouse was part of a settlement under the Family Law Act, it may be exempt from the retail sales tax (RST).
A supporting document that states that the vehicle was part of the settlement is required. You will need to bring one of the following documents to a ServiceOntario centre at the time of registration:
- a completed Sworn Statement for the Transfer of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario
- separation agreement
- divorce agreement
- other similar court document