You may need to report your energy and water usage if you own or represent a building in Ontario that's 50,000 square feet or larger. However, buildings that meet certain criteria may qualify for an exemption from reporting.

Building type

Certain building types are required to report their energy and water usage each year. The property codes defined by Ontario's Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) are used to determine which building types need to report. If your building type is listed in the building types tables at the end of this report, you will be required to report.

Building size

Buildings in Ontario that are 50,000 square feet or larger may need to report their energy and water usage annually. If there are multiple buildings on a property, they can be reported individually or cumulatively.

Determine the gross floor area of your building

The gross floor area of a single building, or structure, is the total number of square feet that is measured between the exterior surfaces of its enclosed fixed walls.

This area also includes:

  • Places inside the building or structure's supporting areas, such as any common areas.
  • Atriums, elevator shafts, mechanical equipment areas and storage rooms.

The gross floor area does not include any exterior, unroofed or open-air spaces, such as an outdoor parking area.

Calculating the gross floor area of your building

Calculating the gross floor area of your building is essential to determine if you need to report and to produce accurate energy and water usage metrics. There are several ways to calculate your building's gross floor area:

  • For smaller structures, you may be able to measure the exterior sides of the building to determine the area of one storey, and then multiply this value by the number of storeys.
  • You can consult blueprints or architectural plans with accurate measurements.
  • You can hire a third party to determine the building size.