If any of your supporting documents are not in English or French, you must provide a copy of the original document and a complete, certified or notarized translation of the document.

You cannot translate a document yourself, nor can you ask your representative, a friend or family member to translate.

If you are applying from within Ontario

If you are applying from within Ontario, translations must be completed by a certified translator accredited by the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO).

If you cannot locate a certified translator accredited by ATIO who is proficient in the language required for the translation:

  • you may use any translator
  • the translation must be notarized
  • you must include a letter with the translation explaining why your translations are not certified and show the efforts you made to locate a certified translator

If you are applying from outside of Ontario

  • The translation can be completed by any translator
  • The translation must be notarized

If we find the notarized translation unacceptable, we have the right to insist your translation be redone by an ATIO certified translator.


If you are applying from outside of Ontario you will need to get your translation notarized.

To get your translation notarized, a notary public, commissioner, or another official with the authority for signing oaths, must certify that your translation is a true copy of the original document.

The official who notarizes your translation may sign or put a seal on your document or they may prepare, sign and attach a separate certificate to the document.


All costs associated with getting your supporting documents translated and notarized are your responsibility.

Incomplete translations

Applications with translations that are not complete, certified or notarized will be returned as incomplete.