2016 Parliamentary Assistant Mandate Letter: Northern Development and Mines
The Minister’s instructions to the Parliamentary Assistant on priorities.
December 30, 2016
Mr. Joe Dickson
Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Northern Development and Mines
99 Wellesley Street West
Room 5501, Whitney Block
Dear Mr. Dickson:
I am honoured to have you as my parliamentary assistant, and thank you for the valuable support that you will provide me in this crucial role. I look forward to continuing to work closely with you to ensure that both ministry and overall government objectives are achieved.
At this mid-point of our mandate — and after having achieved two years of real and tangible progress — we are redoubling our efforts to deliver on our top priority — economic growth and good jobs. Our balanced plan to build Ontario up for everyone will deliver real benefits and more inclusive growth that will help people in their everyday lives. We will do this by continuing to invest in better infrastructure, more affordable and accessible postsecondary education, a competitive, low-carbon economy and improved retirement security.
Responsible fiscal management remains an overarching priority for our government, and, thanks to our disciplined approach, we are on track to balance the budget next year, in 2017-18.
The mandate letter I received in September from Premier Wynne sets out my specific priorities as minister for the coming two years. Parliamentary assistants play a key role in meeting these priorities and in helping put our government’s plan into action.
Our ministry is committed to promoting Northern economic and community development, overseeing the Ontario mineral sector, and helping to deliver programs and services for Northerners.
As Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Northern Development and Mines, your specific responsibilities include:
- Continuing to assist the minister in the implementation of the Growth Plan for Northern Ontario by:
- Supporting the collaborative efforts with partner ministries, municipalities, Indigenous partners and key stakeholders to complete the Five-year Progress Update in early 2017.
- Facilitating the ministry’s lead role in our government’s continued efforts to integrate and coordinate Northern policy and planning activities, informed by the Growth Plan.
- Working with the Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Transportation to support the ongoing development of the Northern Ontario Multimodal Transportation Strategy, which is to be delivered by 2017.
- Supporting the minister on the Aggregate Resources and Mining Modernization Act, a bill to amend both the Mining Act and the Aggregate Resources Act, as it progresses through the legislative process:
- The amendments to the Mining Act proposed in the bill would improve how mining claims are registered and enhance the province’s global competitiveness in the mining industry. The changes would benefit the province’s mining sector by encouraging prospecting, claim registration and exploration, a key to the future development of new mines.
A tremendous opportunity lies before us — to ensure that our ministry’s mandate is fully and effectively implemented, to continue to build Ontario up and to deliver real benefits to all Ontarians.
Original signed by
Minister of Northern Development and Mines